Whopopotomous Overly Hopped Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drawdy10

Reaction score
Is this a recipe flaw or did I do something wrong in my process?

5.5lb White Wheat
7.5lb 2-row
.5lb C20
4oz Biscuit
.5lb Light DME
1lb Rice Hulls

.5oz Magnum 60 mins 18.8IBUs
1oz Cascade 60 mins 23.1 IBUs

.5oz Mt. Hood 30 mins
1oz Cascade 30/15/0 mins
.5oz Centennial 30/15/0 mins

1oz Cascade Whole Hop Dry Hop for 7 days.

It is bitter, sour, tangy, a bit hot in alcohol. It's in bottles now and should be carbed in a few days so i can post more tasting notes at that point. I have noticed the offensiveness of the beer has been fading but it is still quite offensive and not really drinkable.

It may have had alot to do with the old Hefe IV yeast, i did a yeast starter and it only dropped like .001 or .002 from a 1.045 yeast starter 2.5 liters it finished at like 1.044. I pitched anyways, it started really slow and wasn't really fermenting after like 4 days so i tossed in some American Ale II from the local brewery i just had them draw me some out of a fermentor so i know that yeast was good. I'm guessing all these off flavors come from the stressed, unhealthy Hefe IV. Just hoping this will clear out with age and be drinkable, I haven't dumped a beer yet and I don't ever want to.....

high fermentation temps maybe? i had a few wheat beers get too hot and the beer was undrinkable so i dumped them, they do not get better with time.

Back