whole grain supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapdog

Reaction score
Ok, brand new to the exciting world of the barley crusher. I am now looking into what type of grains I should have on hand. I don't want to immediately go wild and have like 10 different specialties sitting around. I am obviously getting a sack of two-row and am looking for suggestions to make a decent supply for all-purpose brewing. I was thinking around 3 diff kinds, maybe 5-10# of each. Any suggestions?

Ok, brand new to the exciting world of the barley crusher. I am now looking into what type of grains I should have on hand. I don't want to immediately go wild and have like 10 different specialties sitting around. I am obviously getting a sack of two-row and am looking for suggestions to make a decent supply for all-purpose brewing. I was thinking around 3 diff kinds, maybe 5-10# of each. Any suggestions?

I have about 20 different malts on hand... Id suggest the following, though this depends on what YOU like to brew.

Vienna
Munich
Crystal 20
Crystal 40
Crysltal 60
Cara Pils
Wheat
Flaked Corn
Chocolate

Now, of you got 10 pounds of THREE types, that is 30 pounds
So why not get 5 pounds of SIX types?

Now, you need to get in on a bulk hop buy and get about 15 varieties in stock and you can brew ANYTHING on ANY given day.

Congrats on the BC purchase.

It really depends on what kind of beers you like to make. I make mostly American pale ales, and IPAs, so I have two main kinds of base malt (but really only need one- I have American two-row, and Maris Otter). I also keep about 20 pounds of Vienna malt on hand, and some Munich malt.

For specialty grains, I keep crystal 40L (about 20 pounds of it) on hand. I also have a little bit of darker grains, like chocolate malt (about a pound) and some darker crystal, I believe I have special B or crystal 120L always in stock. I also usually have either flaked barley, wheat, or carapils on hand to help with head retention.

With that combination, I can make just about any beer I want. If you make darker beers, of course you'd want a slightly different type of specialty grains on hand.

I mostly enjoy pale ales, ipas, and stouts. i definitely would like to have some flexibility, and i guess am trying to find the balance between have too many kinds and not enough of anything to really use it in a style. the above all great suggestions, thanks. to be honest, i haven't had much experience using the vienna and munich. help with those?

Now, you need to get in on a bulk hop buy and get about 15 varieties in stock and you can brew ANYTHING on ANY given day.

i am trying to organize a mini-bulk hop buy with some brew friends of mine to make this happen. we are trying to get about 5-6 diff kinds... not sure i can get enough going for more than that. if so, we are going to stick to a clean, bitter (magnum) some cascade/centennial, and then a few more flavor/aroma to give some flexibility.

bottom line is i am really looking forward to have some flexibility and being able to brew on the fly.

I have 20 malts in stock and will have 15 hop varieties in stock, with a min. of about half a pound each!

Back