Who uses garden hose water to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
regular garden hoses have lead in them, read the label. Get yourselves a RV/ Marine hose, they even say "Lead Free" on them. OBTW....lead is tasteless

I just make kids six and under sign a release before I allow them to imbibe any of my leaded homebrew since lead is a lot more harmful to kids in that age range than to beer drinking adults. Oh, I also make pregnant woman and nursing woman sign releases also, but unlike the kids they really shouldn't be drinking anyway.

I cannot imagine that you could get enough lead from a garden hose to cause health problems in an adult. Hell, we all drank water from hoses when we were kids and are still kicking. Half the products you buy in an auto parts store or anyplace selling cleaning solvents are known the the state of California to cause cancer. In fact, I find those warnings to be so ubiquitous, I pretty much ignore them.

any hose will get you 'hose water taste' if you let the water sit. I use a 6ft hose for brewing and I hang it up to dry after use.

The water from the hose bibb is the same water that comes out of your kitchen faucet and in your toilet.

I apologize if you already know this.
I have a whole house water softener inline. The water to the bibs does not go thru it and definitely has a (tested) different chemistry. That being said, ive brewed with both tap and hose water and cant detect a difference in the beers.

I have a whole house water softener inline. The water to the bibs does not go thru it and definitely has a (tested) different chemistry. That being said, ive brewed with both tap and hose water and cant detect a difference in the beers.

Yeah, but that's the water softener, not necessarily the hose. If you were to collect water from the hose, then remove the hose and collect water directly from the tap, I'll bet you'd find no appreciable difference.

"Wearing a rubber suit fighting crime for 12 hours , really locks in the flavor".

Haha had to quote from Batman-college humor

Been using a garden hose for all my brews. I brew about 60 feet from my water source & until I run water to the area, I will continue to use a hose. I do flush the hose thoroughly before us.

I don't even give my dog garden hose water (unless it's time to get a new dog).

I just use a RV drinking safe hose and run it through a standard filter you buy from the local brew shops. Works and tastes just fine.

It seems crazy to spend all the money to get a brewing setup and then use a garden hose for your water source.

I use mine to run the wort chiller!

However to the serious nature of the post, It appears that the health concerns are as follows:
1. Brand new hoses that have not had enough water running though them to leach out whatever chemicals are in there.
2. As in many things its not incidental contact, or a sip of water or occasional ingestion in small amounts that are the problem, it is questionable hoses that have long term ingestion/contact situations happening.
3. This would mean since much of this is heavy metal contact that is not boiled out of your brew that actually brewing with your garden hose could be something of a crapshoot. Could a few brews hurt you, not likely but long term the damage could be there.
4. You could get your water tested like many do from their tap to see the water profile if you want to use a hose and have a clear mind.
5. You could get a food safe hose and not worry about it. (This may be cheaper than sending your hose water off to a lab to check it.)
6. See what chemicals are found commonly in hoses particular to country of origin. Remember though heavy metals are very slow to be removed if at all from the body so the accumulation factor is what gets anyone.
7. Save empty gallon water/milk/juice jugs ahead of time and fill them with the desired water from the faucet to have available on brew day.
8 Relax, have a home brew or brew period after a riveting discussion I never thought I would have about garden hoses.

That's not your typical garden hose though... its marketed as "lead free" for "organic gardening."

i spoke with my grandfather last night on the phone and asked him about drinking from the garden hose. he said of course we did. we drank just about any water we could find when we were out terrorizing the neighbourhood. he said we never ran in the house to get a glass of water, cut in to our time. He then laughed at me after i told him about this debate. LOL he said that being worried about all the little things in life were going to kill me.

and yes i have always drank for the garden hose and will continue to.

I know some of the best beer I've had came from a brewer that uses three in-line carbon water filters and tap water. It's a pretty damn cool setup.

I use potable RV hoses and a 2 stage RV sediment/GAC/KDF filter. This is going to catch any sediment and/or bacteria. Then I typically treat with Campden tablets to eliminate the chloramine that our water source uses and add the minerals to make up for what our water lacks and acid to counteract the alkalinity that our water has plenty of when needed.

Has anyone recently purchased a 6-foot (or so) RV hose? I'm looking to buy one and am looking around at prices.

I use the regular garden hose with an in-line RV filter I picked up at Wal-Mart for about 15 bucks. Keep it dry and with the brew gear when not in use. Works just as good as the filter in the fridge and is actually a little bigger.

Has anyone recently purchased a 6-foot (or so) RV hose? I'm looking to buy one and am looking around at prices.

Don't recall seeing that size. I have a 10' that I bought from Amazon for less than $7. I recall seeing 4' also, but that was more expensive than the 10'.

leadfree garden hose for me, no taste to it. Many minutes of water are used to pre-clean and wash down the area prior to brewing so the hose has been flushed many-a-time.

I recently finished a brew stand that will allow me to move my operations from my kitchen to my backyard deck. I'd like to fill my HLT with water from my garden hose. Anyone else do this without issue (or for that matter, anyone do this WITH issue)? I ask because I know garden hose water can have a detectable flavor and I'm sure there's bacteria in there, but those buggers will get killed off I'm sure.

Craigtube uses a green garden hose.

Why don't you just draw a glass from the tap and from the hose and do a taste/chem test.

Also, a local OSH store will carry all the supplies needed to make your own food-grade hose with minimal labor, so I suggest that. My store has at least half dozen different types of vinyl and hi-heat hoses in all appropriate sizes.

g-star said:
Craigtube? Seriously? :rolleyes:

It amazes me that people will build elaborate rigs, buy the finest ingredients, control fermentation with a freezer/digital controller, and then use unsafe, foul-tasting water from a standard garden hose for the primary ingredient in their homebrew.

I went ahead and ordered an RV hose. It's funny because I never thought this topic would be so divisive!

This guy! Straight from my garden hose, I even top off to get to volume with it 0.o

I filter my water through a carbon filter one gallon at a time. Sure, it takes a wee bit longer but I know the water is better than without.

I would never use a regular garden house. The one I bought @ Sams Club a year ago still smells like vinyl when I'm watering the plants.

From my experience extract with hose water couldn't taste a difference. All grain with hose water taste like beer with an after taste of hose. My water is good it taste fine drinking it from the hose but once used to brew taste overpowered the beer. Filtered water is worth the cost to have the control over flavor. As others have said why spend so much time and money on equipmemt if you aren't going to do the same for the largest ingredient involved in brewing.

I'd worry more about chlorine/chloramines in unfiltered tap water run through even an RV/Marine hose affecting the final taste over a hose taste.

I use an RV hose with a filter for brew day. Before that I used bottles of spring water from the store.

I'd worry more about chlorine/chloramines in unfiltered tap water run through even an RV/Marine hose affecting the final taste over a hose taste.

I use an RV hose with a filter for brew day. Before that I used bottles of spring water from the store.

I use RV hoses and a filter, and then I use Campden because I know our water company uses chloramines.

Back