Who is brewing on the MLK holiday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man, this thread took a wrong turn, fast.

if you're not off MLK day, why are you looking/posting here?

the OP was just trying to put out a friendly question as to what's brewin' MLK day.

If you have some issues with MLK day, call your congressman.

To get the thread somewhat back on track...

My GF will be in town over the MLK weekend. :ban:

She has brewed with extract before but has never seen an AG brew day so I'm going to enlighten her. :tank:

We'll be brewing Jamil's Czar's Revenge but on Friday.

No brewing on Monday though as I have to take her to the airport so she can head home :(.

I think you misconstrue what I said as bitching. I'm not. My whole career has been in B to B, so I get a lot of exposure to a lot of different verticals. For the most part, it seems only public sector folks have it off. If I really wanted the day I could burn a floating holiday, but since most people in other industries are working it's in my financial best interest to work as well.

Right on! I withdraw my insinuation that you were bitter about it. Let's forget it.

I'm off, and I'll be brewing either a Russian Imperial Stout, or a Citra blonde, or both :) To top it off I also have Tuesday off, too. In Texas we have a little know state holiday known as Confederate Heroes Day. Where I work it is classified as a skeleton crew day, meaning we have to have at least one person working in each area. Confederate Heroes Day isn't always on the same day, but it is always around MLK day. Last year it was the same day as MLK day, hilarious!

I'm off for MLK day. My next was batch was supposed to be a Watermelon Wheat, so I guess I should pick a different day to brew that. :cross:

i am brewing an american brown and plan on aging it on oak chips soaked in pinot noir... try to replicate aging in an actual wine barrel. brewing sunday though.. have to work monday.

I have to work on monday. My ingredients get here today, making a starter tomorrow, and brewing an American Red Ale Saturday night.
Have to watch my 1 year old boy that night, so i'm going to sit him in the highchair and have him watch me brew! he has to learn sometime!

F*********K!

hopsdirect order won't be here until tuesday (1/19). man, i ordered it on the 7th....

well, there goes my brewing plans....

F*********K!

hopsdirect order won't be here until monday (1/19). man, i ordered it on the 7th....

well, there goes my brewing plans....

Seriously?

I could send hops from here (Philly) to Wisconsin next day air (not sure if they send anything Overnight), but 12 days?!?!?!

Brewing plans are NEVER ruined, just altered. Improvise :D

i refuse to spend $3/ounce on hops at the LHBS when I spent $6.75 for a pound that's on its way.

I ordered on the 7th. they didn't ship until yesterday for some reason.

maybe backorder, I did have some hersbrucker....still sucks. and my email to them went unanswered.

i refuse to spend $3/ounce on hops at the LHBS when I spent $6.75 for a pound that's on its way.

I ordered on the 7th. they didn't ship until yesterday for some reason.

maybe backorder, I did have some hersbrucker....still sucks. and my email to them went unanswered.

Well. It makes a convincing argument for (someone who MAY have used them) to NOT rely on themfor my hop needs.

yeah, it's just unfortunate it took so long to pick/ship. i'm still thinking about biting the bullet and throwing down some cash....such a waste, tho. especially since i have 3lb coming, and don't brew too often. so, i'll have some left over...

actually my buddy screwed me over. he was thinking about going haves with me, and took too long to decide. then eventually he's like, "nah....."

I'm off for MLK day. My next was batch was supposed to be a Watermelon Wheat, so I guess I should pick a different day to brew that. :cross:

Dear God.....

I would like to think that our society has reached the point where we could make a potentially insensetive joke about a watermellon schwarzbier......but as much as I'd like to think that we have reached the point that we can look back and laugh together, as MLK would have wanted, I don't think we are ready for that yet.;)

i think since we've elected an african american to lead the country, we're mature enough to laugh about watermelon.

i think this is one MLK day that he will be resting quite peacefully.

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered and propagated by an unscrupulous mainstream media that sets forth the proposition that it is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Dear God.....

I would like to think that our society has reached the point...

I have a pretty smart friend that says he always looks for INTENT before getting upset about any comment. A lot of times it's innocent, sometimes it's ignorance where he may or may not choose to educate you, and sometimes it's malice - and the gloves come off.

I think our society has become over-sensitive; over-accomodating; and incredibly hypocritical. But we are getting off topic.

Dear God.....

I would like to think that our society has reached the point where we could make a potentially insensetive joke about a watermellon schwarzbier......but as much as I'd like to think that we have reached the point that we can look back and laugh together, as MLK would have wanted, I don't think we are ready for that yet.;)

It was a joke. :D

I never cared about being politically correct and I never will. I was just going for a cheap laugh.

It was a joke. :D

I never cared about being politically correct and I never will. I was just going for a cheap laugh.

It was funny!!! Thus the "DEAR GOD....." lol.

I wasn't sure if it was a joke though, the guy who started the thread said MLK day and schwarzbier in the same breath and evidently intended no connection other than coincidence.

While I do not dwell overly on being PC, I thought that if the OP was making that joke in the...OP, that would have been a little out of bounds.

It was funny!!! Thus the "DEAR GOD....." lol.

I wasn't sure if it was a joke though, the guy who started the thread said MLK day and schwarzbier in the same breath and evidently intended no connection other than coincidence.

While I do not dwell overly on being PC, I thought that if the OP was making that joke in the...OP, that would have been a little out of bounds.

Even if the OP was black?

Would that make it less "out of bounds" (since we have now gone way off topic)

Even if the OP was black?

Would that make it less "out of bounds" (since we have now gone way off topic)

Damn good question!

I guess I would say YES.

We should all be held to the same standard, but then again, if all things were fair and equal, then racial jokes would not be offensive.

I other words, Jews, Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Muslims etc. would make jokes about their own stereotypes, as would anyone.

It is a difficult line to walk.

I am encouraged to see many people considering Reid ignorant, rather than racist.

I think those that cry "racist" at the drop of a hat damage tolerance as well.

If we are all walking on eggshells around each other, that is holding us all back.

Out of 10 employees at my day job, I am the only Gentile.

Except the boss's wife (but the boss claims she is Jewish b injection) :D

He (the boss) cracks Jewish stereotype jokes all the time.

At first, I was uncomfortable, but now he cracks me up.

Working Monday, but maybe try out Sorachi Ace and Amarillo in a wheat beer, never used sorachi before, maybe i'll add .25oz orange peel. Middle of winter in Chicago, but a summer brew might lift the spirits. It's worth a shot, oh wait is that not PC?

I'm hoping to brew an Amber this weekend. Not sure which day, but having 3 days aught to help me find the time. Last weekend I was hoping to, but after doing chores and work and yadda yadda I was too tired by the time Sunday night rolled around.

Why.

:off: Why can't I say fried chicken or watermelon in front of a black guy and not be expected to feel guilty? Happens to be good tasting foods that I eat often - I should hide it or be ashamed? Everyone has to make a pilsner monday to be politically correct? :off:

screw it, i'm brewing. i'll pay your $3/ounce hop prices for the last time, LHBS!!!

maibock. hopefully they'll have some Hella Bock left.

and, don't forget the grape soda.

Back