who has used crystal rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veedo

Reaction score
had a couple pounds of crystal rye sitting around for a while, finally decided to use it today. threw just under 7% into a pale ale/ipa batch today. should get an idea what it brings to the table. anyone else use it?

Yep. Used it in a dark rye saison. It had a distinct anise character to it in addition to typical darker Crystal notes. I wasn't a fan. Without checking my notes, I believe I used about the same percentage as you in my batch.

I thought it was also more dry and less malty than crystal barley. Could be rebranded as amber rye and that would give a better predictor of the effect!

Yep. Used it in a dark rye saison. It had a distinct anise character to it in addition to typical darker Crystal notes. I wasn't a fan. Without checking my notes, I believe I used about the same percentage as you in my batch.

anise! hmm well maybe the hops will hide that one haha. :tank:

just thought I would update for anyone interested. did not pick up any anise notes. seemed like a c60 crystal malt to me. recipe was loaded with hops, so maybe it hid some of those qualities.

I am just now drinking a British crystal rye IPA. 2 month old can. Only pale malt and crystal rye. Definetly the typical rye spices, plus cara 60-80 smooth- and sweetness but dryer. Also a bit of pleasing toffee.

I am not big on rye, but if I was I´d like this malt I think.

Haven't yet but have it ordered for a rye kolsch test batch I have planned. Was actually hoping for a touch of licorise with a subtle rye spiciness. For those of you who didn't get that hint of anise, did you just steep? I am going with partial mash kolsch malt and crystal rye with pilsen extract. Only a tiny bit of the crystal rye though.

Back