White Spots in Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True_Sycko

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!!

Its been awhile since I made my last brew (Masters class/work/holidays). So I decided on making the AG Final Abosulution clone. I picked up the stuff yesterday morning and then made a 4L yeast starter with 1 vial of WLP500. I checked on it just now and noticed little white dots floating on top. I am thinking infection? What do you guys think? Pick up another vial?

2012-12-27_14-45-55_973_zpsb15d7376.jpg

2012-12-27_14-45-44_920_zps0d328255.jpg

And yes all I had is a pot to hold a 4L starter.

Thanks and happy New Year!!!

I wouldn't think an infection... Infections are pretty gnarly. Those could be little yeast rafts (probably are). Don't sweat it yet... let it ferment out for a day or two.

I shook it a little while ago and the white disappeared. I just checked and there is more white spots. I think your correct on the rifts. I just used to seeing huge ones in the fermentor and never seen them on the starter. Its been 6 months since my last brew and forgot all the little things the yeast do.

Just noticed your from Shelby too! Where about? I'm at 25 and Jewel.

Well I think its mold. It's spreading. I will wait it out another day, but if it fails, should I pick up 2 packets for the beer. The OG is 1.078.

Yea I get all my ingredients from CNC. Been to the brew day last summer. It was a blast and was awesome to watch others technique as I am still a new brewer.

How would this get moldy? What did you put in it? Spoons, funnels, thermometers? You have a new photo after it spread?

Yeah, if you suspect it is mold, I would dump it. Its just a starter afterall. Why waste $30 worth of ingredients for a $7.00 yeast pack. Use www.mrmalty.com yeast calculator to determine how much yeast you need. But yes, at that high of an OG, I'm assuming you will need 2 packs.

I suspected mold because the color of it and showed a pic to a friend who is experienced. Plus I Cooled the starter outside in the snow (and the sanitized aluminum foil kinda blew off. But I looked at it this morning and the spots are gone and its just covered with little normal looking bubbles. So I think I should just RDWHAHB.

Thanks for the help.

First this is an old thread, so not likely he remembers. That being said, Give your starter some time to get going. it should be fine if you followed normal sanitation procedures. The yeast are probably in lag phase or they are done. some floaties are not unusual. they may be yeast rafts. As the man said RDWHAHB.

Back