White spots in my vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavinstreet95

Reaction score
I’m a complete newbie with the whole brewing thing, with that being said, I’m doing my first brew. I read the recipe online, and decided to do it. I believe it’s a sugar wine? All it took was sugar, yeast, and yeast nutrient. It seemed simple and cheap enough, so I decided to give it a try. I cleaned my vessel with boiling water, as I did not have the precise cleaning agents that I was told to use on brewing websites. I poured my sugar water into the vessel, cooled it, added the yeast, and gave it 24 hours to oxygenate the yeast (the instructions on the websites recipe said this would let the yeast multiply before breaking down the sugar). I waited 24 hours, and I came back to put the airlock on. I noticed a few white spots here and there inside my vessel. They are small, but they look to be in groups. I did a little research and I found nothing. I’m hoping I don’t have to toss this, but I’m not too far into the process, so I won’t mind doing so if it’s necessary. I would appreciate any tips or advice, thank you :yes:

Most likely some solids from the yeast nutrients or the packet of yeast. Not everything dissolves, you should be fine. Once an active fermentation starts, it should choke out most other microbes. Just don’t introduce oxygen after it’s finished. what your making is called Kilju, there’s a thread about it a little bit down. But honestly, since youre already fermenting something into alcohol, if you have any fruit juice concentrate or solid fruits, you might as well add it in (if you have space or can move it all to a bucket). If it’s a gallon, you could pour out enough to add a can or two of grape juice/apple juice and end up with basically full strength juice wine.

Back