White sediment after boiling top-off water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm prepping for my second brew tomorrow (Brewer's Best Robust Porter kit), and I boiled 2.5 gallons spring water to top it off. I know that this may be unnecessary (my first brew I used water straight from the tap - turned out fine), but I want to try different methods as I learn the process a little more.

So anyway, I sanitize the jug it's going back into, get the water up to a rolling boil for a bit, and take it off the heat. After it cooled a bit and I started transferring it to the bottle, I noticed a decent amount of white sediment in the bottom of the kettle. I got as much water as I could, and dumped the rest along with the sediment. I'm working on an electric stove, and this stuff was also built up in a spiral where the coil was in contact with the bottom of the kettle.

I used "spring water" - was this stuff just the minerals that were in the water? Not too worried about it, just curious.

It's probably precipitated carbonates. Just decant the water off the sediment.

Now, I plan on using another 2.5 jug of this same spring water for my boil - should I worry about these precipitates causing off-flavors?

Back