White mold on my hop spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerstein

Reaction score
I pulled out my hop spider this morning, just looking equipment over. I found some white mold on it. (root cause already found and remedied)

I've never had to deal with white mold. Is good scrub in oxiclean, plus a sanitize in starsan enough or should I use a stronger sanitizer?

Thoughts?

I pulled out my hop spider this morning, just looking equipment over. I found some white mold on it. (root cause already found and remedied)

I've never had to deal with white mold. Is good scrub in oxiclean, plus a sanitize in starsan enough or should I use a stronger sanitizer?

Thoughts?

After cleaning with Oxi, use diluted bleach, keep it on for a couple minutes, then rinse thoroughly. I'm not sure Starsan will effectively kill mold.

3 percent hydrogen peroxide is your best method to kill the mold. Followed by a good cleaning with oxiclean. Then sanitize with starsan and let it air dry. While chlorine will help remove the mold it does not completely kill all the mold spores. Additionally when you use chlorine on brewing equipment you risk residual smell and taste of chlorine left behind. To remove chlorine you must thoroughly wash, rinse and air dry the equipment properly after exposure to chlorine.

Hydrogen peroxide is good for killing mold. Heat, above 160 F, is also good.
I'd wash it off, use peroxide on it, and then boil it in water for 5 minutes.

Back