White Labs Yeast Vault

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is great. I have been thinking about making a Helles before mower season, so German Lager X here we go! Only 103 more to ship.

I just checked and it's down to 13 to ship now, which makes that orders for 90 in just under two weeks. Anybody else interested in this strain right now might want to move on it sooner rather than later.

Just after the BN show with White Labs I placed orders for the Nordic Blend, Funky Cider, and Scottish Cider. I'm looking forward to the Nordic coming. The cider strains are far from 250, which is fine for now. I won't have cider to ferment again until fall. Hopefully they remain active gains traction around September/October. All the chatter about German X may get me to jump on the bandwagon.

I've received e-mails from White Labs indicating i've been charged for the Nordic Blend and should receive shipping confirmation mid-February.

I also just noticed that German Lager X is now green lit.

Excited for both.

How does Lager X compare to WLP860?

EDIT: looks like people seem to think WLP860 is from Augustiner, while Lager X WLP835 is either from Andechs or Ettal. I prefer Augustiner beers, but we have family history for those two monasteries so I might grab a pouch (parents had their first date at Andechs, I lived at Ettal for a summer).

in.
24333899863_b7a02f82de_h.jpg

Just placed a pre-order for WLP564 Leewenhoek Saison Blend, WLP616 Funky Cider Blend, and WLP693 Lactobacillus plantarum.

Let's do this!

I'm going to do a classic bavarian weissbier and a massive baltic porter.

both will ferment in the cellar (which is around 62 degrees) before I bring them upstairs (68 degrees) to finish.

Got mine too. I'm planning on doing a simple saison type recipe, but splitting it and fermenting one around 67 and letting the other free rise.

I have been on the list for Funky Cider. Come on, we can do it! :mug:

On my way to a friend's house tonight who specializes in cider. About 2 years ago he had a pineapple cider get cross contaminated with a Kombucha SCOBY. He thought it was disgusting, I absolutely loved it. He found a growler of it in the back of his fridge this week, so I'm probably going to save the last bits of it for an in-house culture :ban:

Here's hoping the White labs strain will give me something similar!

I've been in on the funky cider and the Scottish Cider since just into the new year. At this point I'd be happy if they stay active but trip the threshold about August to ship out at the perfect time.

In the meantime I have to figure out what to do with my New Nordic that arrived today. My next few brews will be lagers to make use of a Pilsner yeast cake I'm about to rack off of. I plan to pull off a few liters of whatever wort I make to get the New Nordic kicking and taste what to expect before plotting a larger batch course.

My 611 just arrived today also. Been thinking about doing a simple Pilsner and Hallertau SMaSH with it first... And I like the idea put forth earlier of splitting the batch at two temps. I'm thinking maybe 60 in my ferm chamber and then room temp (~75 for me) for the other half. Use those to harvest, see which temp I like best, and then go from there. Either a 50/50 wheat/Pilsner weissbier next, or a saison with some wheat, oats, and maybe rye if it seems like it'll work well with the yeast flavors. And maybe some sugar to dry it out, if it's not a super-attenuator beast like some of the saison strains out there. And would like to try it in some cider, also... Lots of options! [emoji482]

I just got a vial of 611 as well. I'm really torn at the moment. Half of me wants to pitch it into a starter immediately and see what I get. The other half of me wants to stash it until Spring.

I have a fridge full of harvested WLP300 and a mixed culture of Orval dregs and WLP570. My plan was to ride all the way to summer on dunkelweizens and funky belgian golden ales, perfecting some recipes along the way.

Now I've got this new ingredient screwing up my focus. I'm thinking maybe a saison with a pilsner base, 10-20% wheat, a dash of munich, and fruity american hops. Something like Boulevard Tank 7. But I don't have a heat belt and nowhere in my house is above 68 at this time of year.

New Nordic Yeast Blend about 12 hours after pitching in about 3L of wort pulled from my Pilsner batch yesterday: 92% blended Pilsner malts, 6% CaraPils, 2% Acidulated with about 35IBUs including heavy flameout steep of Rakau and Archer (going for stone fruit flavor and aroma). I chilled to 54 and that's where it's stayed due to Wisconsin basement temps. It's active. At these temps I probably could have filled it fuller.

I've got some protein blobs in there bobbing about.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455460011.462690.jpg

Got my 611 as well. I'm thinking a Spelt Saison, maybe some Rye. I've got some French Aramis and Bouclier hops that I'd like to toss in too.

I probably won't get to this for another month tho due to my brew schedule.

Do you guys think a starter would be a good/bad idea since it's a mixed culture?

I'm going to make a starter simply because I want to overbuild and stash some for later. The small description on the WL site doesn't lead me to believe that any of the yeasts in the blend are slow workers so I don't see why a starter would mess up the blend. There's no recommendation for long ferments or anything.

I'm going to make a starter simply because I want to overbuild and stash some for later. The small description on the WL site doesn't lead me to believe that any of the yeasts in the blend are slow workers so I don't see why a starter would mess up the blend. There's no recommendation for long ferments or anything.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455638052.986928.jpg

The description of the T. Delbruckii (one of the three) by itself does say it's slightly slower than a standard sacc strain - "25% attenuation after 5 days". That's not super slow, though, and it's by itself - I'm sure the other two (if they are similar to saison or hefe strains) will finish up pretty quickly. I'm thinking of giving it three weeks in primary instead of the usual two I give most ales..,

But I don't think it really matter for us anyway, since the 611 isn't available to purchase again right away. Either you build it up with a starter, and accept whatever "composition drift" (I made that up, but you know what I mean) comes with it, or you harvest it after a full batch, and accept the exact same drift.

I contemplated a starter, but instead am going to just do a 2 gallon batch of a Pilsner/Saaz SMaSH to grow it up... That way I get some drinkable beer out of my "starter" and can evaluate the yeast flavors in that, and then make something else from the harvest. Am also thinking Saison, and then also a Hefe/wheat style...

I did a 1.2L starter with WLP611 that showed activity after 2 or 3 hours and fermented down to 1.007 when I took a reading. I haven't drank starter wort recently, but thought this was somewhat tasty. I chilled the starter for a few days, decanted, then added .5L of fresh wort the morning of brew day (today).

I did a basic saison recipe at 1.058 OG.
10 lbs. pils
1 lb. wheat
12 oz. table sugar

I chilled to 65, split the batch into two 3 gallon better bottles and will let them get up to 67 over the next 24 hours. After that time, I'll leave one at 67 put a heat belt on the other and let the temp climb. I'm not sure how long I'll let it go before bottling. I'll get a better idea after tasting a sample once fermentation is done. Once it's done, I'll do a tasting with my homebrew club and report back with the results.

I did a 1.2L starter with WLP611 that showed activity after 2 or 3 hours and fermented down to 1.007 when I took a reading. I haven't drank starter wort recently, but thought this was somewhat tasty. I chilled the starter for a few days, decanted, then added .5L of fresh wort the morning of brew day (today).

I did a basic saison recipe at 1.058 OG.

10 lbs. pils

1 lb. wheat

12 oz. table sugar

I chilled to 65, split the batch into two 3 gallon better bottles and will let them get up to 67 over the next 24 hours. After that time, I'll leave one at 67 put a heat belt on the other and let the temp climb. I'm not sure how long I'll let it go before bottling. I'll get a better idea after tasting a sample once fermentation is done. Once it's done, I'll do a tasting with my homebrew club and report back with the results.

Sounds awesome. Interested in hearing the tasting results! What kind of flavors did you get just from the starter wort?

The starter reminded me of an American wheat I did with a touch of honey malt in that it had some sweetness to it. I got fruit in the aroma. Wish I could describe it better than that, but my palate isn't that great.

Hoping the wlp611 comes back pretty soon. Would love to give it a shot!

White Labs was supposed to make enough for pre-orders and have some left to sell to homebrew stores. Maybe ask your lhbs or dig around to see if you can find some.

I brewed a Bavarian Weiss (1.052 OG) & a Baltic Porter (1.105 OG) on Saturday. I made a 1 liter starter on Thursday that I decanted and used in the Weiss, and I made a 2 liter starter for the Baltic Porter that I took straight off the stir plate (after 16 hours) and poured into the Baltic Porter.

Within 4 hours the Baltic Porter was rolling. Sunday morning, the Weiss was also churning along. I ended up with just under 5 gallons of the Baltic, which is in a 6.5 gallon carboy. The spare headspace is filled with a thick Krausen and I think at this point i'm free and clear of any concern about blowoff.... but this Nordic yeast is a beast, i've never seen my blow off tube exhausting so quickly. I thought it was going fast when there was a big bubble every second. This morning, the Baltic Porter almost sounds like a continuous stream of co2 (3 or 4 bubbles per second).

Both beers are fermenting in the cellar at 62 degrees.

Picture: Weiss in the foreground, Baltic Porter in the back.
25166734346_75f68cadf5_h.jpg

About 40 hours into fermentation, the krausen fell on the batch that I'm fermenting warm (upper 70's). About 6 hours later, the krausen fell from the batch fermenting now at 68. I started with foil on top of the carboys and put airlocks on after the krausen fell. The gravity readings with a wine thief were 1.030 give or take a couple points. Starting gravity was 1.058. It seemed like the warm batch was more like 1.026 and the 68 degree batch was 1.032, but I never really seem to get a good reading with a wine thief.

Just brewed my Hefeweizen with the Nordic Yeast Blend WLP 611. Already have nice activity within 8 hours. I did make a starter from it two days ago.

IMG_1888.jpg

56 Hours into fermentation @ 62 degrees, the Baltic Porter's krausen has fallen but it continues the ferment vigorously (blow off tube is putting out a solid bubble each second). The Weissbier still has a 2" krausen but I expect it will have fallen away by the time I get home from work.

Looking forward to seeing how efficient the attenuation is on this Nordic yeast.

My email on the release of 835 said to expect an email in early march.

"Expect an email from us next week confirming your credit card has been charged. We will also send you an email sometime in early March to let you know your order has shipped."

Right on, I received a confirmation email for my 835 order, and my card was charged. However, I never heard anything further regarding when it is going to be shipped.

Took a gravity reading on my Bavarian Weiss today. OG was 1.052, today (a week later @ 62 degrees) WLP611 has it at 1.017 (66% attenuation). I'm going to let it ride another week and hopefully shave a few more points.

The beer tastes amazing. By far, the best weissbier i've made. Powerful banana flavor, light on clove. Cleaner than I was expecting, I though WLP611 would have a funky character.

Interested to hear flavors people are getting at higher fermentation temps.

New Nordic Yeast Blend about 12 hours after pitching in about 3L of wort pulled from my Pilsner batch yesterday: 92% blended Pilsner malts, 6% CaraPils, 2% Acidulated with about 35IBUs including heavy flameout steep of Rakau and Archer (going for stone fruit flavor and aroma). I chilled to 54 and that's where it's stayed due to Wisconsin basement temps. It's active. At these temps I probably could have filled it fuller.

I've got some protein blobs in there bobbing about.
View attachment 337529

Bottled this today. OG was 15Brix (~1.060) and final gravity is 1.013 which was same as my main portion with Wyeast Budvar/WL Budejovice Pilsner yeast for about 78% apparent attenuation. It did warm up to 63F max during the week of fermentation thanks to some warmer weather coming through. The yeast cake was extremely well packed after cold crashing, so the beer was clear going into bottles. Taste has light Belgian character, surely subdued by the cool temps, but perfectly subtle for me in what now amounts to a Belgian Blond or pale ale. I think I'll refill the vial then put a mead must on the remainder of the cake in the 1 gallon jug. At this point I wouldn't say it's anyone special. I think it would make a nice wit or weissen. After testing it in a mead, I'll probably just use it to ferment a base for souring and not propagate it further.

Whoah. That's good to know. I think this thing may require some aging. I'm almost tempted to throw it in my sour culture as well.

Latest posts

Back