White labs wheat beer yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want a hefe yeast

Are you saying you don't want a German hefeweizen yeast? Their 320 is an American hefeweizen, which may be similar to Wyeast 1010 which is my choice for the style. You can also use a kolsch yeast or other clean yeast like 001 for an American wheat.

I just did one with White's 320. Came out nice. Has a little bit of tartness to it. Not sure if it is THE Widmer yeast, but it's similar.
I would also suggest plain ol'WLP001 as well. It's doesn't have to be a wheat yeast after all. :)

WY3944 Witbier yeast.

I'd like to try this one!

I have used white labs 300 320 and 380 and they all have the same flavor to me... kinda a tomato banana clove.. I been thingies about the 001 on a simple American wheat.. I'm trying to get away from the white lab 300's

I have used white labs 300 320 and 380 and they all have the same flavor to me... kinda a tomato banana clove.. I been thingies about the 001 on a simple American wheat.. I'm trying to get away from the white lab 300's

Yep sounds like you want 001. I'm not a big German hefe fan either so all my wheats are American style. If you have access to wyeast strains you could try 1010, supposedly also originally from a widmer strain. I don't get any banana clove (at least not fermenting around 67*). I find the results pretty similar to using the chico strains but with just a little something - tartness maybe - that's nice in a wheat.

Back