white labs trappist ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
the whitelabs website gives feck all in terms of info on this yeast... it does look like it enjoys the lower temp range, and doesn't look like it likes to settle out. does this also mean it's a slow starting yeast?

anyone have any experience with this yeast?

thanks in advance.

ok, make a starter for this yeast folks :) it takes a day and a half to get going in a low gravity wort around 1.040

it's yeast cake happens to be kicking the snot out of the triple, but it took forever to get started with the first brew.

Wow, thanks for that tip. I made a starter on Sunday night, and I hadn't seen any activity at all. Today, when I brewed my trappist, I noticed that the yeast was finally suspended, after three days! I pitched it this afternoon, and I think it's starting to rev up. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that experienced the delay.

I have used this yeast a few times for mid grade gravities and it is a little slow off of the jump... A starter is an excellent way to start but even with a starter, I've had 18 to 24 hour lag phases before fermentation kicks off.. I have found that it tends to fire off with fermentation if you keep the temp between 73-76 degrees then when it starts, cool it down to 70 and it will roll for about 3 days...

Yeah, it's been eleven hours since I pitched, and it's just barely going. The krausen is there, but not thick enough to form a solid layer yet. It's about 76º in the bathroom I've got it in, although I expect it to slowly cool a couple more degrees overnight. I look forward a nice surprise in the morning!

I love this yeast. I used it in my Tripel (OG 1.100) and it worked like a charm. My temps were in the 68 - 70 range throughout. I pitched a 1L starter that I prepared two days before. FG was 1.020, which is high for a FG, but that's still 80% attenuation. Not bad...

Edit: mine took 18 or so hours to really get going.

Back