White Labs liquid yeast starter question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naristov

Reaction score
I'm ready to make my next batch (this will be my second if you don't include MrBeer batches) Up until now I have used dry yeast and simply re-hydrated it before the pitch. For my next batch I decided to use a liquid yeast from white labs. Do I need to make a starter? I was planning to brew tomorrow or the day after. Whats the best way to make a start? I don't have DME could I use the LME from the kit?

I'm makeing a Hefeweizen

In my opinion the only kind of beer that I do not make starters for are wheat beers. I get better esters (banana, clove, etc) from my wheat yeast without starters. Just search for how to make starters. They are probably 1000 threads, some with pictorials.

Depends on your gravity, but most likely you'll be fine without a starter for a hefeweizen. You'll be under pitching by a little but not a huge amount if your gravity is within style guidelines. For future reference, you make a starter the same way you make a beer, although you only have to boil it for a 20-30 minutes. You'll need an Erlenmeyer flask, preferably 2000 ml.

You can use a pitch rate calculator to help you figure out how much of a starter you need to make. And you might want to consider building a stir plate at some point.

Other than that, boil you wort, cool it down, pitch your yeast, cover the flask with tin foil, and keep it at a desirably temp. If its not that big of a starter you can pitch the whole flask, otherwise refrigerate then decant before pitching.

I figured it would be okay, but not ideal. I think I'm going to just pitch it in and plan better next time. Write it off as a learning experience. Otherwise I have to wait till next week to brew.

You could use liquid extract but generally dried is easier for the small quantities you'll need. What you can't use is some other type of simple sugar instead of extract,like cane for instance

BradleyBrew said:
In my opinion the only kind of beer that I do not make starters for are wheat beers. I get better esters (banana, clove, etc) from my wheat yeast without starters. Just search for how to make starters. They are probably 1000 threads, some with pictorials.

Ok....so with this, I'm worried. I did a partial mash Agave Wit the other day and made a starter. Did I mess up? Will the starter change the characteristics of the beer?

Shouldn't need it with a hef. I don't make one, but then again I also use big pitches from my previous brews.

Shouldnt need to make a starter at all with white labs liquid, thats why they call it pitchable. Its not only convenient, but you are wasting time and money making a starter, while increasing your risk of infecting your brew.

Shouldnt need to make a starter at all with white labs liquid, thats why they call it pitchable. Its not only convenient, but you are wasting time and money making a starter, while increasing your risk of infecting your brew.

not true.

Ok....so with this, I'm worried. I did a partial mash Agave Wit the other day and made a starter. Did I mess up? Will the starter change the characteristics of the beer?

In my experience, it (starters) decreases ester formation, which is essential for wheat beers. No, I'm sure you did not screw it up. What was the OG of the wit?

The bigger the beer the more need for a starter. You will be fine without a starter but it's one of those many things that make beer better. So you do not NEED a starter but you will have better beer with one.

Yes. Use the LME for a starter.

A quickie starter can be 2 cups of water with LME. Maybe half a cup. Boil for 10 minutes. Add yeast nutrient and cool. Does not have to be exact measuring (but again, it's better if you do but keep it simple).

Pitch the yeast. 18 to 24 hours later it,s at its peak. Might look,like nothing is happening but it is.

BradleyBrew said:
In my experience, it (starters) decreases ester formation, which is essential for wheat beers. No, I'm sure you did not screw it up. What was the OG of the wit?

The OG was 1.052

Back