White Labs lawsuit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t have the greatest palate. I live only a couple miles from Left Hand. I love their Milk Stout. My favorite from them. I had a pint of that batch in their tasting room, and I said to my wife that it just was not that good that night. Not sure I would have gone the lawsuit route, but I don’t know how much money they lost over it. I’m still a regular there.

I have been on a detailed tour of the brewery and it is one of the trashier looking breweries I've seen. I find it hard to believe that they would not be testing yeast for quality before they added it to their product. If I were running a yeast lab, I would absolutely not sell to these folks anymore after this suit.

I have been on a detailed tour of the brewery and it is one of the trashier looking breweries I've seen. I find it hard to believe that they would not be testing yeast for quality before they added it to their product. If I were running a yeast lab, I would absolutely not sell to these folks anymore after this suit.

The point of the lawsuit is that it is alleged that White Labs weren't testing for this stuff, and a brewery might reasonably take the view that the reason they pay a premium to buy in yeast from places like White Labs is because White Labs are testing for things like this - it's being sold with a guarantee that it doesn't have nasties like this (at least not >1 in a million).

Some breweries take their microbiology very seriously, but you'd be surprised how limited many are on the lab side. White Labs and Wyeast make their money by saying they'll take care of a lot of the stuff that would be done by an in-house lab. Not that it excuses a brewery being lax about it, but on the available evidence, my sympathy is with the brewery in this case.

I have been on a detailed tour of the brewery and it is one of the trashier looking breweries I've seen.

I couldn’t disagree more. But then again I don’t know what breweries you’ve toured. Left Hand is a good brewery and has been around for years for a reason. Just think they got a bad batch of yeast.

But I do agree with what you said about White Labs. I would probably not sell yeast to them after this.

The problem LH are going to have is they have not tested for diastaticus in the yeast supplied by WL. If you read point 59 they have only tested there final product after conducting their own investigation.

It makes me wonder why you would spend half a million on a PRC from Pal and not test your raw materials, especially since you are trying to root cause the yeast as the issue.

Of course they could have done so and have omitted that information (because it doesn't prove their hypothesis) or they are idiots who don't know who to conduct a proper root cause analysis.

Back