White labs american farmhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForsythBrewery

Reaction score
Ive planned on using this yeast but was curous if making a starter would be the same? or if i could still havest this the same as normal because of the brett in it?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Home Brew mobile app

In both instances--starter or harvesting--you'll change the ratio of sacc to brett, because they grow at different rates.

In the case of the first pitch, this may not be a problem. Saison yeast does pretty well under-pitched, and the brett will work fine over time with a small colony.

In the case of harvesting, this may not really matter. Depending on when you harvest (how many months after pitching), you will get a healthy colony of both yeasts. You may get a different character in your next beer, but I would think it would be in the same ballpark.

(N.B.--I actually haven't used this yeast, although I will be pitching it into a beer next week. I'm going off knowledge of how these two species act in general.)

Thanks for the reply. So does the ratio of the sacc and brett matter or just them being their matter

I really don't think the ratio of sacc to brett makes much difference. The most important thing is to have sufficient amount of sacc to out-compete the brett when pitched. Making a starter will be OK, as will harvesting from slurry.

Im very intrested in this now does anybody have any good leads where i can read a learn more about brett and sacc yeast relationship

Back