White Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benxrow2002

Reaction score
I am trying to learn more about this style of beer and how to make it. I am a big fan of the Great Lake's Holy Moses White Ale and recently tried the Sam Adam's White Ale....so I'd like to try to duplicate it. What style of beer would this be in? Is it an American Pale Ale or something else.

Also, can you guys recommend a recipe for a style like this with steeping grains and extract?

That's a wit beer. I think Biermuncher has a wit in his recipe stash here on HBT- and I'm sure some others do. If you find one that you'd like, and it's all-grain, just let us know. We can convert it to extract for you.

Edit- there are a few different ones in this list: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

One is called "Easy Belgian Wit". Hope this helps!

YooperBrew said:
That's a wit beer. I think Biermuncher has a wit in his recipe stash here on HBT- and I'm sure some others do. If you find one that you'd like, and it's all-grain, just let us know. We can convert it to extract for you.

Edit- there are a few different ones in this list: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

One is called "Easy Belgian Wit". Hope this helps!

<---noob

Whats with the weird boil times and hopping schedule on the Easy Belgian Wit?

I found this recipe in Southern Brew News a few months ago.

@75% Efficiency

OG 1.050
IBU 15

4# Pilsener Malt
3# White Wheat
2# Flaked Wheat

Hops 1/2 oz Perle 6.9% :30

Spices:
Orange Peel zest from 6 oranges
1 oz crushed whole coriander seed

Yeast: White Labs WLP400 Belgian Whit Yeast

Crush all grains except flaked wheat. Mast at 150F for 60 minutes or untill complete conversion. Boil wort 60 minutes, hops at 30 minutes, spices at flame-out. Cool wort, transfer to fermenter, areate well and pitch the yeast. No secondary, because you keep the yeast in the beer.

The recipe is really fast, and its off the hook, if you like Sam Adams white ale or Blue Moon you'll love this one.

Nothin wierd about em...

1lb wheat malt (steep 30mins)
1 ounces of styrian golding hops @ 4.4% (boil for 30min)
6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract (boil 10mins)
1 pound of clear Belgian candi sugar (boil 10 minutes)
1 ounces of tettnanger hops @ 4.2% (boil for 10 min)
.5 ounces of bitter orange peel (boil for 2 min)
.75 ounces of coriander seed (boil for 2 min)
1 pkg of wlp400 or you could use wlp410.
0.75 cups of corn sugar (priming)

The hard part with late additions is getting your boil times accurate. When you get the boil going and add in your 30 minute hops, do you stop counting minutes at 10 when the wort drops to 180° because you just added 5 pounds of cold LME?

You can get real pale brews with wheat extract and a 30 minute boil... I'd just boil all of the fermentables for 30 and call it a day.

6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract (boil 30mins)
1 pound of clear Belgian candi sugar (boil 30 minutes)

sirsloop said:
Nothin wierd about em...

6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract (boil 10mins)
1 pound of clear Belgian candi sugar (boil 10 minutes)

The hard part with late additions is getting your boil times accurate. When you get the boil going and add in your 30 minute hops, do you stop counting minutes at 10 when the wort drops to 180° because you just added 5 pounds of cold LME?

You can get real pale brews with wheat extract and a 30 minute boil... I'd just boil all of the fermentables for 30 and call it a day.

6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract (boil 30mins)
1 pound of clear Belgian candi sugar (boil 30 minutes)

thats what i'm not understanding....for each item that says (boil for 30min) thats not an additional tacked onto the boil time is it? for the items that have the same boil time, they should be added at the same time correct?

I'm getting the process down for most aspects of the brew, but when it comes to reading recipes some of them just don't seem to make any sense....its like the beer gods made the recipes jumbled and hard to read on purpose....

Correct- you start your boil time at 60 and set a countdown timer. And then, add the rest of the ingredients when there is that much time left in the boil- like this example

1 oz cascades 60 mins
1/2 oz cascades 20 minutes
Whirfloc tablet 20 minutes
1/2 oz cascades 5 minutes

You'd bring your wort to a boil, and add the first ounce of cascades. So, you'd add 1/2 oz cascades with 20 minutes left on your timer, along with the whirlfloc. then, with 5 minutes left (after 55 minutes of boiling from the time you started your timer and added the first hops) you'd add the cascades.

If you have three things to add at 20 minutes, just add all three.

Hey that's my recipe from back when I started! Reason for the weird boil times is to keep the IBU's down. They're not really high AA hops, but shooting for 14IBU's you'll have a hard time if you boil anything for 60mins.
Start the boil set a timer at 30 left add the one hop at 10 the other.
Or like sirsloop say boil for 30mins and be happy, there's no reason to boil the extract for more then a minute to sanitize it. When you're doing extract it's really about the hops.

My stout I did last week, I only boiled the warrior for like 35 mins. At 15%AA it would have been way too bitter if I boiled that for 60.

I found this recipe in Southern Brew News a few months ago.

@75% Efficiency

OG 1.050
IBU 15

4# Pilsener Malt
3# White Wheat
2# Flaked Wheat

Hops 1/2 oz Perle 6.9% :30

Spices:
Orange Peel zest from 6 oranges
1 oz crushed whole coriander seed

Yeast: White Labs WLP400 Belgian Whit Yeast

Crush all grains except flaked wheat. Mast at 150F for 60 minutes or untill complete conversion. Boil wort 60 minutes, hops at 30 minutes, spices at flame-out. Cool wort, transfer to fermenter, areate well and pitch the yeast. No secondary, because you keep the yeast in the beer.

The recipe is really fast, and its off the hook, if you like Sam Adams white ale or Blue Moon you'll love this one.

I have been brewing now for two days. Does that make me a noob? My first batch ever is in primary fermentation. I got one of those "everything you need" brewing kits and "everything you need" ingredient kits for a witbier. I am having a lot of fun with this, I'm not looking for a bunch of "why I need more and better stuff" replies, I was looking for a more inexpensive way to drink beer I like.

I found this [old] thread because I REALLY like Great Lakes Holy Moses. The recipe above looks very simple and I might try it next. One of the things that gives Holy Moses it's unique flavor is Chamomile. How would I add Chamomile to the recipe above, or any recipe?

Also, what do you guys think about leaving the yeast in the beer as described?

Beers I love: Sierra Nevada 2008 Celebration, Great Lakes Christmas, Great Lakes Conway Twitty, Great Lakes Holy Moses, Blue Moon Harvest Moon, Michalob Shock Top.

Beers I Like: Blue Moon, Yeungling Porter, Lionshead

Beers I hate: Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Light

You get the picture.....

I have been brewing now for two days. Does that make me a noob? My first batch ever is in primary fermentation. I got one of those "everything you need" brewing kits and "everything you need" ingredient kits for a witbier. I am having a lot of fun with this, I'm not looking for a bunch of "why I need more and better stuff" replies, I was looking for a more inexpensive way to drink beer I like.

I found this [old] thread because I REALLY like Great Lakes Holy Moses. The recipe above looks very simple and I might try it next. One of the things that gives Holy Moses it's unique flavor is Chamomile. How would I add Chamomile to the recipe above, or any recipe?

Beers I love: Sierra Nevada 2008 Celebration, Great Lakes Christmas, Great Lakes Conway Twitty, Great Lakes Holy Moses, Blue Moon Harvest Moon, Michalob Shock Top.

You get the picture.....

Both of these are recipes you may want to check out, they both use Chamomile. I'm planning on one of these in the near future.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/el-segundo-grado-witbier-87679/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/just-another-brew-day-pics-99893/

You get the picture.....

In all honesty I don't think white wheat, or any malted wheat for that matter, belongs in a wit.

Both of these are recipes you may want to check out, they both use Chamomile. I'm planning on one of these in the near future.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/el-segundo-grado-witbier-87679/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/just-another-brew-day-pics-99893/

I found the el segundo grado witbier after I posted this and I think this is DEFINITELY my next batch. There was some discussion about the wheat flour at burn-out, I might omit that but otherwise I intend to follow the recipe exactly, including getting the Coriander from an "ethnic store."

I actually have gobs of it right now I got from a Bengali Indian store. My wife planted a bunch of it and we have pots full of cilantro growing on the front porch!

Thank you very much for the recommend!

Back