Whirlpooling question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
I had read about whirl pooling, yet hadnt tried it yet. The other halfs Ginger Lemongrass beer is up boiling as we speak. Thought it would be a good time to try it as the recipe has 1oz of hops, 1 oz of lemongrass, 1/4 oz of ginger and some irish moss. Will all that in there it will be more like soup then beer.

So i use a IC too cool the wort. Should i cool the wort then do the whirlpooling once its down to 80 degrees? From what i read you just spin it in a circle for 5 mins and then all the crap should settle to the middle so i just siphon from the side?

Did a quick search but didnt see anything that answered my questions and couldnt wait to long as its boiling as we speak.

Thanks!

PS thought this beer sounded really girly but man the pound of honey in it makes that wort smell like beer and honey. Smells damn good!

PSS Now that i think about it the recipe only calls for adding all the other stuff at the last 10 mins of the boil. Should i just leave it all in to try to increase the flavor of the lemon grass and the ginger and let it all settle out in the primary?

That's alot of crap in the fermenter.. I would strain it out, either with a funnel/strainer combo on the way into the fermenter, or before chilling with a hand strainer.. I strain all my beers before cooling by hand with a sanitized hand strainer and in 15 years have never had an infection. it works great, especially since I use a blow off assembly and if I left all that crap in the fermenter, it would clog my blowoff assembly during high krausen.

Back