Whirlpool tube size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambo3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, my plan is to whirlpool through a homemade counter flow chiller in order to chill and whirlpool at the same time, and also keep the plumbing simpler (feel free to speak up if this idea by itself is a bad one for any reason).

My concern, is what diameter tube to use? The standard homemade CFC is 25' of 3/8 copper tube in 5/8" hose. It would stand to reason that I'd use 3/8 on to upper whirlpool input to the keggle.

Would 3/8 provide enough flow? I've read some threads in which they say the smaller diameter would provide more pressure and velocity for a better whirlpool, but I fear that the 25' of 3/8 in the chiller would add enough drag to slow the flow down anyway.

Would 1/2" be better? I could make a 25' 1/2" CFC in 3/4" hose. It would probably be twice as expensive, but if it'll work better I think it'll be worth it.

My pump is a stainless head chugger pump.

Well I did my own test. with a 3/8 tube, the flow was great if I pumped directly into it. It created a great whirlpool.

When I pumped through my 3/8 stainless immersion chiller, it slowed it down by quite a bit. It still whirlpooled some, but not near as well. I may consider the 1/2" approach for a CFC

Back