Whirlpool paddle and video. Check it out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G21aF7OsEZM&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

I'm a big fan of a full False Bottom with level 3 filter in my boil kettle, but some of you really like the whirlpool method. All is good! Check out the video and let me know what you think.

Cheers
Jay

Shut-up-and-take-my-money-300x187.jpg

Yes but not to temps that are reached at the bottom of the boiling kettle with the heat on. You can have it in the kettle just not on the very bottom with the heat on. Those temps can reach well above 500*

Cheers
Jay

For those of us that use a CFC or plate chiller, I would assume that this might not be good due to hot side aeration? Correct? I looked through your website and you have many different versions of this paddle and as I read through one of the descriptions, it hit me. This should only be done on cooled wort.

i wouldn't see HSA being a problem if you take it slow and don't whip it like you're scrambling eggs :mug: people whirlpool all the time while it's hot, i do as well... not with the paddle though, i have valves setup, but i usually turn the burner off and let it settle for a few minutes, whirlpool, let it settle again and start chilling (i have a CFC)

I too whirlpool by hand with my paddle once I shut the heat. However, I think the beauty of this device is based on the speed that you can attain from a power drill. I'm sure you could go slower to prevent too much aeration, but I would think that your effective whirlpool would also diminish. Just trying tyo decide if it's worth it for those that cool post kettle transfer.

This seems like a lower-tech, lower cost solution for a whirlpool/IC setup than a pump and whirlpool arm (JZ style chiller).
I need to get cleaner transfers, but I'm worried about hop debris clogging my pump as I recirculate and whirlpool hot wort.
Seriously considering this...

If your concern is HSA then go with the Whirlpool/mash paddle. It will create the best whirlpool at at the slowest speed with the lowest amount or aeration. You can create a full whirlpool at "lo" on your drill, and minimize aeration.

Cheers
Jay

Back