Which yeast?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamnave

Reaction score
I've taken a couple of stabs at an Imperial IPA, and I'm 0-2 on getting the attenuation I want.

First one went from 1.089 --> 1.026, second attempt from 1.083 --> 1.022

You'll have to trust me when I tell you that BOY have I researched, asked, experimented, etc. and the odds that it is the wort or the process are sliding from remote to impossible.

So, I've been using PacMan, and wondering if that is the issue.

So, my question is:

If you had to pick a yeast to do an IIPA, and you wanted it to gobble up 70 points of gravity, what would you use, and why?

Thanks.

I am a brewer at rogue and am familiar with Pacman. That OG is close to the limit of Pacman but should work. Our OLD Crusty is the highest alcohol beer we do with pacman @at about 23 plato or 1.092. It finishes a little sweet at around 5 plato or around 1.018. Your second attempt seemed close to this. I know you said you research/asked but I have to ask. What mash temp did you use? How long did you ferment for? I used a little corn sugar in my homebrew imperial IPA to get it to finish dryer with pacman.

joel4482 said:
I am a brewer at rogue and am familiar with Pacman. That OG is close to the limit of Pacman but should work. Our OLD Crusty is the highest alcohol beer we do with pacman @at about 23 plato or 1.092. It finishes a little sweet at around 5 plato or around 1.018. Your second attempt seemed close to this. I know you said you research/asked but I have to ask. What mash temp did you use? How long did you ferment for? I used a little corn sugar in my homebrew imperial IPA to get it to finish dryer with pacman.

13# base malt, 2# specialty malts, 1.25# dextrose. Mashed at 149 for 90 minutes, pulled a decotion to hit mash out, fly sparged @ 170 for almost an hour. Fermented for 4 weeks in closet right around 65F.

Interestingly enough, I hit FG in 6 days. I thought when it was @ 1.023 on day 6, low teens in a month would be easy. Didn't move after primary ferment (krausen) stopped.

I am beginning to wonder if its just too much to ask to get 70 pts of ferment without temp control.

Back