which wyeast product to use for a bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azbrews

Reaction score
I plan on brewing Righteous American Real Ale (It is from p.170 of Joy of Home Brewing).
Full disclosure: I live in Arizona and it is really hard to keep below 70 degrees ( even in a bath tub with ice) so I'm looking for a yeast that will be good at around 72 to 73 degrees and won't go south on me if the temp creeps up to 75. should I use:
London Ale III 1318
British Ale II 1335

Any other suggestions would be great as well.

I brewed that recipe with British ale II and it turned out well. I've made other bitters with the London ESB, and think that makes one fine English ale. But the london ESB is not great at higher temps, it can be a diacetyl producer and if I'm not mistaken, wyeast recommends a diacetyl rest at the end of primary.

I've used 1335 for several English pale ales/bitters with great results. Remember, the temperature is of the fermenting wort, not the ambient. If you cannot get the wort to stay within the yeast's "happy zone" then either select a different yeast or figure out a way to get the wort within that zone. I did have a recent batch go a bit above the range for 1335 for a short span (a few hours/half day)... It was at the tail end of the first week from pitching and it finished off well. Of course, I also left the brew on the yeast for 5 weeks, to compensate for that warmer spell.

I have a brew fermenting with Wyeast 1882-PC (Thames Valley II)... I'm actually going to see about getting another packet of that yeast (while still available) for an English IPA that I plan to brew within the next couple of weeks.

I've also used Wyeast 1728 in an English pale ale/bitter with great results. I think you just need to select a yeast strain from the UK that matches your parameters. Once you do that, just be sure to treat it right...

I seconed the 1968. Have made many fine London Pride clones with that yeast. I have found that isinglass works very well with it. For me better than gelation.

thanks for the advice, was SUPER helpful! Thanks ALL!!! my local homebrew shop didn't have the 1968. ended up going with the 1318.

Back