Which Method to Calibrate RIMS PID?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryalan

Reaction score
I'm going to calibrate the temp on my PID this weekend for my new RIMS setup. I have some ideas on how to calibrate it but I'm not sure which will give me the best results. I'm thinking about the following:
  • Glass of ice water
  • Pot of boiling water
  • Ice water in my MLT with the water running through the RIMS tube
  • 154 degree water in my MLT with the water running through the RIMS tube
Are any of these methods (or other unmentioned methods) more accurate than another?

I calibrate with a Lab thermometer I just make sure that my sensor is in some liquid... take a reading from my Lab thermometer in the exact location of the sensor and calibrate through the PID menu

How would you regulate 154F water to maintain that temp? That of course would be ideal if you could do it.

Make an ice water slurry and let it sit for a bit so that the temperature is close to 32F. Some methods suggest that you need to leave it in the fridge for a few hours, but that seemed excessive to me.
Then I would also do the boiling water just to see how you do at both extremes. Adjust for altitude, my boiling point is 211+.

I found out that the Love controller probe I bought was pretty accurate at both ends. None of the other K thermoprobes I use for my brew system are capable at all ranges, just something you have to deal with.

How would you regulate 154F water to maintain that temp? That of course would be ideal if you could do it.

Yeah, good question :mug:

I'll do the ice water AND boiling water method and see where it's at.

Thanks!

Back