Which malts could improve this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
Hey people.

We have brewed following a recipe I made on brewtoad. Here is the recipe: link

Now....the problem is the overall taste. It is a very good beer.....but after reading "joy of home brewing" and reading the chapter on "tasting beer - perceiving flavor"........we realized that the front of our tongue is not affected. We have the taste linger at the back of the tongue (bitterness), and at the side (due to mineral, CO2..probably)....but at the front, the malty flavour and the sweetness were just there for a split second.

I think the recipe is perfect...I like it, but we need some malts that good give body, and make this beer mouthful. What do you guys think? Which malt and how much shall I use of the recommended malts for a 6.92 gallon batch?

Since its and ESB from the looks of it I would think some English Crystal malt would help bost the mouthfeel and malt sweetness. Could be wrong though.

Since its and ESB from the looks of it I would think some English Crystal malt would help bost the mouthfeel and malt sweetness. Could be wrong though.

I set it to that "ESB" because of the hops, but it does taste like an ESB. :) The only thing is this...what I mentioned before....the front of the tongue is not affected the way it should be affected. Thanks for the reply.

Could be more than just malts(like yeast or water even),your FG looks decent for some mouthfeel,maybe you would prefer some crystal malts as noted previously. Different recipes will give you varied perception of tastes also and Im assuming your letting them warm up a little when your tasting them. What you eat that day can have an effect also, I believe your personal ph for that day has an effect also. And then there is your refined palate which will change with tasting/time.

Also I would let that beer condition with more time then go back and try it. More often than not conditoning and lagering(extended fridge time) can smooth things out. Alot of "harshness" can mellow out.Too much carbonation can make it harsh though at first. Usually the higher temps you mash at would give you more mouthfeel as well as carapils/carfoam(dextrin malts) and crystal malts. I like adding barley or wheat flakes(or small amount of wheat malt) sometimes or even oats sometimes but not too many it could get hazy if you dont like that.

Mash it over 152F and add a pound or 2 of pale (10L-20L) British Crystal malt and the malty taste will become dominant. Maybe 156-158F Try using an English ale, like Windsor if you like dry yeast, instead of US04. It will attenuate a tad less and leave a bit more malt flavor.

Back