Which High gravity controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad041

Reaction score
So I think I have finally narrowed down my brew controllers to High Gravity's EBC SV or the EBC III. I'm currently brewing on propane outside, so either is going to be a huge step up when I install it in my basement. I just can't decide if an extra PID and therm probe is worth $300. Any insight or additional considerations are welcome. Thanks

What is the brewing process you plan to follow? It's difficult to offer any insights on the product without knowing how you want to use it.

I run a single-tier, 3 vessel HERMS system with the EBC-SV and have no problems. As long as you're not lazy about unplugging and replugging heating elements and temp probes you should be good. I use a handheld thermometer to monitor auxiliary temperatures for times when the probe is mandatory (ie, if the EBC-SV is reading temps on the worst return arm from the HERMS coil, and I need to monitor HLT temps for sparge), but it all works wonderfully.

img_10211-56866.jpg

I run a single-tier, 3 vessel HERMS system with the EBC-SV and have no problems. As long as you're not lazy about unplugging and replugging heating elements and temp probes you should be good. I use a handheld thermometer to monitor auxiliary temperatures for times when the probe is mandatory (ie, if the EBC-SV is reading temps on the worst return arm from the HERMS coil, and I need to monitor HLT temps for sparge), but it all works wonderfully.

img_10211-56866.jpg

Thanks, that is what I was wondering. I want to do a similar setup. Do you have your controller plugged into a spa panel?

I run the EBC III in a single tier configuration with 2 pumps. I love it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks, that is what I was wondering. I want to do a similar setup. Do you have your controller plugged into a spa panel?

I do, that's the grey box you see the EBC-SV connected to in the picture. You also may notice that a 3 foot power cable on a pump isn't quite enough, so surge protector extension cord was the solution!

Back