Which electric controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBaloo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yeah.. like most of us here, I (we) over think the think, and do not over DO the DO... when in actuality, we should do the opposite.. and get things done, even if they are not perfect or we do not think of every single minute possibility. Maybe we should start a support group....

Back on topic. For the past year, I have been building my taproom, pics soon to come, I have have had the desire to build my own 240v/50amp eHERMS control box using raspberry pi. However, with the advent of these new controllers I have decided to just get something that I can brew with and then make it better as time moves along.

that all being said, What do you consider the pros and cons of each of these controllers and which one would you pull the trigger on?

1. Auber Cube
2. Blichmann Brew Commander 240V
3. SSbrewtech eController 1V
4. _______________________

I think I have already eliminated the SS eController as at that price point, I can do almost 2 of the Blichmanns and have more versatility. I left it in there as it was a initial consideration. As of this posting, I am actually leaning towards the Cube...

I really do appreciate your thoughts and I apologize for the ramble....

Love the name and avatar! Unfortunately, I only have experience with a custom made ~ Auber BB200. It works really well. I would vote for the Auber Cube which happens to be on sale right now.

Hosehead FTW.

What do you want the system to do?

Will start with BIAB then continue to build system to full eHERMS... but.. the most realistic outcome will prob be realizing I can do good beer with BIAB .. and then never progressing on to a 3 vessel system....

Also, I did check out Hosehead.. but.. really dont want to wait until Fall.... =(

Last edited:
Subscribed as I was ready to pull the trigger on a hosehead until Corey shut it down for the foreseeable future.

Haven’t looked at the Auber Cube yet.

I just did the DIY Auber Cube2 with EZ Boil DIY for my BIAB, I bought right it before the Brewcommander came out. I would probably get the brew commander if I had to do it again. I didn't look to deep into it since I already have the Auber.

If you want to expand to 3 vessel, I think the BrewCommander is the only one that is expandable...? The Cube will only control 1 element.

I do like how the EZ boil on the Auber Cube2 can control the element as a % power vs temp. I don't have my temp probe in the kettle, but in a T just outside of it so there has the be flow for it to read while I recirc. I use a basket for BIAB so the probe wont fit in the kettle very easy hence it being in the T.

Good luck.

I have had pretty lackluster experience with hosehead. I would look elsewhere unless You are very comfortable using a raspberry pi.

The probes are wildly inaccurate and need constant recalibration. Have also had 2 units require new sd cards

I just did the DIY Auber Cube2 with EZ Boil DIY for my BIAB, I bought right it before the Brewcommander came out. I would probably get the brew commander if I had to do it again. I didn't look to deep into it since I already have the Auber.

If you want to expand to 3 vessel, I think the BrewCommander is the only one that is expandable...? The Cube will only control 1 element.

I do like how the EZ boil on the Auber Cube2 can control the element as a % power vs temp. I don't have my temp probe in the kettle, but in a T just outside of it so there has the be flow for it to read while I recirc. I use a basket for BIAB so the probe wont fit in the kettle very easy hence it being in the T.

Good luck.

There is nothing inherently expandable about the Brew Commander to accommodate 3 vessel systems. If you want to control another vessel, you'd get a second controller but then you have you have a 50amp circuit because there is no interlock to prevent both controllers from trying to fire at the same time.

Hope OP doesn’t mind hijacking his thread, but I had the basement wired for the hosehead-50amp single plug since the hosehead can have 2 elements plugged into it.

Without that feature, I’m now looking at a 50a splitter and into that, plug in a brew commander for the MT and Blichmann kettle controller for boil. I have a 110 outlet to plug in an existing coil for a HLT.

Other than the 2x220 plugs in the hosehead, I liked the WiFi feature, but might have to give that up since the only other WiFi I’ve seen is Brew boss which I don’t think is the right fit for me.

And thank you to everyone for your contributions in the conversation.

Making a DIY hosehead controller isn't that difficult.....
I agree but if you read the OP's first post that was his original plan and has now decided against it.

honestly If one were to make thier own software based system I would recommend what I use, Brucontrol.. a windows pc with arduino hardware is much more stable than a Pi setup... I use raspberry pis for my taplist behind the bar and even it that limited use with taplist.io Ive had them crash twice.

He said he didn't want to wait until fall to buy one.....
He also said this first...
"I have have had the desire to build my own 240v/50amp eHERMS control box using raspberry pi. However, with the advent of these new controllers I have decided to just get something that I can brew with and then make it better as time moves along."

If he builds his own it would be unlikely it would be ready by fall.

The auber would appear to be more upgradable than the blichmann in that you could get a larger enclosure and reuse components from the cube. Personally I’m giving myself this year to refine my workflow with propane and build a dedicated electric cabinet/armoire and then will purchase the basic auber components, but not the cube. I think the PID/SSR/thermometer is all I really need and everything else I either have from old home electrical projects or can go get from HD/Lowe’s.

Goodness.. didnt mean to create such a stir....

sfrisby.. no worries.. we are all hear to learn and share....

got the kettle all picked out and blinged up with Bobby. I will either pull the trigger on teh cube or Brew Commander, or just build a simple dial controller from still dragon till I figure out what I want to do....

thanks all.. Whatever I do, I will post pics.....

Cheers!

I just switched over to all electric single vessel BIAB about 8 months ago and will never go back to gas I am sure. Using an Auber EZ boil with a Blinchmann Boil Coil and pieced everything else together. Got temps and methods down almost perfect right out of the gate.

Just a novice electric brew set up/user but very pleased with tight temp control during mash and dial for boil mode. Haven't messed with auto step mashing programs built into the EZ boil but it looks fairly simple.

But hey, like I said, I am just a beginner using all electric and I am sure there are cons to my set up that I haven't noticed. I do babysit through the whole process but know I could walk away since I have seen great consistency with very little to no adjustments on my part. I can't see switching my system up to 3 vessels ever TBH. But if I did, I would just add to my controller box so no money wasted IMO.

You know.. after a really good conversation with Bobby last week, I think I am going to do the practical thing and just get something that is easy to brew on. I am a really busy guy, hence the reason it has taken 2 years to get my taproom in shape enough to even have the conversation on my brewing setup.

Doing it the way the big breweries do it???.. really doesn't fit me, cause I have no plans to be a brewery.. just a guy who loves beer and cook. And, well cook beer. What I need is a nice simple way to do this. A way that I will actually use because it is easy and enjoyable.

Now.. the only thing I have to figure out today is whether I want the Brew Commander or the Cube. Already got a really nice brew kettle configured with Bobby. Cant wait to see it.

Baloo

I m just going to say it, High Gravity.
It's a great little controller, but I know there will be some folks in the electric section trashing that "you can make it way cheaper".

I m just going to say it, High Gravity.
It's a great little controller, but I know there will be some folks in the electric section trashing that "you can make it way cheaper".
Not trashing it per say, It may be a great controller. I just pointed out that if someone took one apart and bought all the exact same components to build another clone of say the wort hog 130 they could order all the components for around $150 and build another in a few hours. The components used are all very budget minded except the actual EZ boil units, which the most expensive piece at around $60
.. those the facts when you break down the components. Right down to the enclosures they use from the home depot or or lowes to the exact plugs and switches and ssr all available at ebay or auberins. Take it for what it is... If you see it as a bad thing then its your outlook on it.

They used to be built very poorly with all the components glued into the enclosure but the company improved build quality a few years ago and thats no longer the case. They provide a lifetime warranty so perhaps that is why they cost what they do. They have also updated and changed the design over the years and im sure criticism from folks like me helped with that.

Last edited:
My backup beater rig is 5+ years old. Doubt that I have $125 in it.

Attachments

• 20190909_202556.jpg
    20190909_202556.jpg
    879.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 20190909_202545.jpg
    20190909_202545.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 310
Not trashing it per say, It may be a great controller. I just pointed out that if someone took one apart and bought all the exact same components to build another clone of say the wort hog 130 they could order all the components for around $150 and build another in a few hours.

I thought about putting your name on that with a little wink. Just to be clear, I do respect your knowledge, insight and opinion especially when it comes to electric.

You're definitely not wrong that they are charging a significant premium for the product, but if you don't want to build it (and Hosehead is no longer an option) it is a good prebuilt controller that I have seen in action several times. I would be interested to see some reviews of the Blichmann, but haven't seen that yet, so I cant recommend it at this time.

I own the Wort Hog from High Gravity and its a fantastic little controller......however I agree that they are overpriced. Feels like it should be $300....$500 is asinine and I wish I had cheaper options at the time of purchase like the Brew Commander

golfindia... love the labels!!! where did you get those???

just kidding.. love the simplicity of that. I also want a back up in case something goes astray.... But for now, thinking I will just purchase something that is plug and play so that I can get brewing....

thanks to everyone for your comments.... stay tuned for the tap room story....

My backup beater rig is 5+ years old. Doubt that I have $125 in it.

Is there a guide online here or elsewhere on how to build basically this type of controller? I don’t need anything fancy and if there is a guide I can follow I’d like to try it myself to save some money. Main goal is to not burn down the house or electrocute myself. [emoji4] I’ve looked at www.theelectricbrewery.com but all of that is for 3V and I’d like to do single vessel eBIAB.

Is there a guide online here or elsewhere on how to build basically this type of controller? I don’t need anything fancy and if there is a guide I can follow I’d like to try it myself to save some money. Main goal is to not burn down the house or electrocute myself. [emoji4] I’ve looked at www.theelectricbrewery.com but all of that is for 3V and I’d like to do single vessel eBIAB.
yes there are some threads on here where folks went through the diy process but I dont think anything is stickied.. you can do a search on google with "homebrewtalk" in it and it will reveal the threads with some searching. the wiring on a single temp controlled heat controller really is fairly straight forward with the temp probe connections being the most confusing part. doug293cz has supplied many wiring diagrams to help people in the same boat as you. we should be adding all these diagrams into a sticky thread.

I know some folks, including me, love to build stuff. My first shot out, I wanted something fool proof... paid the extra 150 over parts price and got the brew commander.

Happy with purchase.

Biggest surprise on my first b rewday with it was how quiet electric is..... no roaring propane burners!

I know some folks, including me, love to build stuff. My first shot out, I wanted something fool proof... paid the extra 150 over parts price and got the brew commander.

Happy with purchase.

Biggest surprise on my first b rewday with it was how quiet electric is..... no roaring propane burners!

Baloo,

Just checking in to see how you like the brew commander. I am in the same boat as you and modifying my setup to a single vessel biab and I am very interested in the brew commander, it seems like for the price, you can't beat the functionality.

Thank you in advance for your response,
Brian

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd just chime in and say that I got the cube and, bang for the buck, it's pretty hard to beat. One 30 amp outlet and I have all the power of the DSPR320, two pump controls and all at a bargain price. I would have preferred a wall mount form factor, but for some reason there's a pretty hefty premium for that. After a bunch of research, I ultimately decided I wanted an EZ Boil based solution and the cube has been great so far.

I own and just recently used the SS1V for an eBIAB setup. Love it. Because of this thread I just gave the brewcommander a look. I think it's a lil better. The screen is especially nice. I don't think I need most of the functionality tho and it only powers one pump. I like that the 1V controls both my pumps.
I also prefer the SS element and integrated temp probe over the boilcoil. I don't like that it's weldless and don't care for the looks outside the kettle.
I think any of these things nowadays will get the job done and they're cheap enough that we don't have to rig up our own.

I own and just recently used the SS1V for an eBIAB setup. Love it. Because of this thread I just gave the brewcommander a look. I think it's a lil better. The screen is especially nice. I don't think I need most of the functionality tho and it only powers one pump. I like that the 1V controls both my pumps.
I also prefer the SS element and integrated temp probe over the boilcoil. I don't like that it's weldless and don't care for the looks outside the kettle.
I think any of these things nowadays will get the job done and they're cheap enough that we don't have to rig up our own.

New Jersey,

Thank you for your reply! I am definitely weighing all options. My current plan only includes one pump, so that is no downside for me. I planned on adding a tri clamp port and heating element on my kettle instead of going with a boil coil. After reading lots of threads I came to the conclusion that while the boil coil is nice, it is just as pricy to replace if it fails. Having a non proprietary heating element makes it easier to replace. I am hoping to have a 3v eHerms setup eventually, so flexibility is key.

Brian

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd just chime in and say that I got the cube and, bang for the buck, it's pretty hard to beat. One 30 amp outlet and I have all the power of the DSPR320, two pump controls and all at a bargain price. I would have preferred a wall mount form factor, but for some reason there's a pretty hefty premium for that. After a bunch of research, I ultimately decided I wanted an EZ Boil based solution and the cube has been great so far.

Is there a way to do delayed start with the auber cube? It seems a little less intuitive than the brew commander, but I am still considering options at this point.

Brian

Im 2 brews in with the BrewCommander. I don't think you can beat the bang for the buck. There is only one niggle I have with it and that's how the timer works. You can create boil and mash profiles and have each step run for a period of time, e.g. boil for 60 minutes or mash for 60 minutes and mash out for 10 minutes. Logically you would want it to wait until the step temperature is reached and then start the counter, but instead it tries to calculate it and get's it wrong. Maybe I need to tweak my settings, but it just seems like a bad design to try to predict when you are going to hit a temperature vs when the controller knows the actual temperature. Maybe there will a software update. In the meantime I have a workaround. The timer is the only con for me and if I had the choice between a cube and a brew commander it would be BrewCommander.

Is there a way to do delayed start with the auber cube? It seems a little less intuitive than the brew commander, but I am still considering options at this point.

Brian

I'm new to the cube and haven't tried a delayed start, but i think you could just do a "mash" step with temp set below room temp for the delay time (up to 99 hours). The next step presumably would then be a ramp to strike temp.

Im 2 brews in with the BrewCommander. I don't think you can beat the bang for the buck. There is only one niggle I have with it and that's how the timer works. You can create boil and mash profiles and have each step run for a period of time, e.g. boil for 60 minutes or mash for 60 minutes and mash out for 10 minutes. Logically you would want it to wait until the step temperature is reached and then start the counter, but instead it tries to calculate it and get's it wrong. Maybe I need to tweak my settings, but it just seems like a bad design to try to predict when you are going to hit a temperature vs when the controller knows the actual temperature. Maybe there will a software update. In the meantime I have a workaround. The timer is the only con for me and if I had the choice between a cube and a brew commander it would be BrewCommander.

What you want to do is program the mash and boil but not hit the start button on the program until you've hit your desired mash or boil temp. The timer then will be in sync.

Helps after the first couple of brews to go back over the instruction booklet and then some of the operations make more sense.

My first experience with brewing was using gas. Some brews came out really good, others were a total waste. Root cause seemed to be that I was unable to maintain temps very well at all. So, I stopped brewing entirely for about two years.

During the first year I was researching electric brewing, control panels, and setups. I finally settled for Electric Brewing Supply, specifically the 30A BIAB control panel. After lots of thought and planning, I purchased the kit and started buying parts for converting and upgrading my system.

Taking my time (About a year) I built the box, modified my existing kettles, replaced all the connectors with quick disconnects, replaced my pump, got a new counterflow chilling coil and pieced it all together. Went through several iterations of leak testing and fixing (Everything is weldless).

Even though my control panel is BIAB, I setup my system very similarly to the Blichmann's BrewEasy. This gives me lots of volume to brew in and does not require a separate kettle for sparge water. Frankenbrew indeed.

After a test run, I found a couple errors on the schematics that took some brain power to resolve. I know electronics well enough, but 240v simply terrifies me. Once resolved, I brewed a batch. What a difference! Temp stayed within a degree of target (Likely closer really). OG results were higher than expected, but boil off was also higher. Simple adjustment there. But damn what a difference. It was a great experience.

Its been in the fermenter now for 10 days and I am looking forward to trying it!

Point being, I would recomend ebrewsupply, but go with a pre-built one. Their schematics are kinda dicy. Works well! no problems.

My first experience with brewing was using gas. Some brews came out really good, others were a total waste. Root cause seemed to be that I was unable to maintain temps very well at all. So, I stopped brewing entirely for about two years.

During the first year I was researching electric brewing, control panels, and setups. I finally settled for Electric Brewing Supply, specifically the 30A BIAB control panel. After lots of thought and planning, I purchased the kit and started buying parts for converting and upgrading my system.

Taking my time (About a year) I built the box, modified my existing kettles, replaced all the connectors with quick disconnects, replaced my pump, got a new counterflow chilling coil and pieced it all together. Went through several iterations of leak testing and fixing (Everything is weldless).

Even though my control panel is BIAB, I setup my system very similarly to the Blichmann's BrewEasy. This gives me lots of volume to brew in and does not require a separate kettle for sparge water. Frankenbrew indeed.

After a test run, I found a couple errors on the schematics that took some brain power to resolve. I know electronics well enough, but 240v simply terrifies me. Once resolved, I brewed a batch. What a difference! Temp stayed within a degree of target (Likely closer really). OG results were higher than expected, but boil off was also higher. Simple adjustment there. But damn what a difference. It was a great experience.

Its been in the fermenter now for 10 days and I am looking forward to trying it!

Point being, I would recomend ebrewsupply, but go with a pre-built one. Their schematics are kinda dicy. Works well! no problems.

I had that same issue with the wiring schematic and contacted them about it. Very prompt reply, and I think I edited their schematic to document the change that was needed.

I had that same issue with the wiring schematic and contacted them about it. Very prompt reply, and I think I edited their schematic to document the change that was needed.

Same here. I was also missing a couple parts. they were quick to send replacements. But their schematics online are still wrong. Oh well. It works now.

Back