Which dry lager yeast for a "quick" Pilsener?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albionwood

Reaction score
I need to brew a Pilsener and have it ready to serve at a public event in exactly 30 days.

Assuming this is even feasible, which of the dry lager yeasts would you recommend:
Saflager S-23
Saflager S-189
Saflager W-34/70
Mangrove Jacks M54 Californian Lager

My primary concern is not so much nailing the style - it just needs to be recognizably Pilsener-like - but with getting it done and cleaned up in time, so my preference would be for the fastest fermenting yeast.

My plan is to ferment it cool for a few days, then ramp the temp up to finish in the mid-60s. Chill, clarify, and lager for as long as I can, then keg and force-carbonate the day before serving.

W-34/70 is fast and can be fermented relatively warm -- I would do the 60s Fahrenheit.

S-189 is relatively slow, but tastes better. If 30 days... it could be challenging to get it to finish so fast.

I don't have experience with the others.

Best of luck to you.

I just did NB's Oktoberfest this week with S-23 and a week after pitching 1 pack of rehydrated yeast it took 1.060 to 1.011. It's a little sulfery and cloudy, but it chewed through the wort quickly.

The folks over on the warm-fermented lager thread are fans of M54, not least because it drops cleanly and quickly - in terms of grain to glass time then you shouldn't just be looking at the time taken to make alcohol, all the "post-processing" time has a big effect. Not used it myself though.

I brew mostly lagers now days. 34/70 will finish in time, but it won't be anything stellar @ 30 days total time, IMHO.

If you can get liquid, try WLP940. The more I use it, the more I like it.

The folks over on the warm-fermented lager thread are fans of M54, not least because it drops cleanly and quickly - in terms of grain to glass time then you shouldn't just be looking at the time taken to make alcohol, all the "post-processing" time has a big effect. Not used it myself though.

Thanks for that link - pretty much all the information I was hoping for, and then some.
I'm pretty familiar with M54 so that's a good recommendation. It really needs at least 2 weeks of lagering in my experience, and if all goes well I should be able to do that.

Creature Comforts can turn their hoppy pilsner, Bibo in less than 4 weeks. They use Bock yeast. I believe the Hella Bock yeast from Wyeast. Not sure if the Bock yeast from WL is the same strain. Wyeast version is PC. They use it specifically because it matures and floccs fast and they can turn the beer quickly.

Wyeast 2206 is one of the more flocculent lager strains. You pitch a metric ton of it and spund you could have it ready in 30 days even without a diacetyl rest.

34/70 in the low 50s maybe, but you’d definitely have to fine it.

I’d make a Kolsch.

Last edited:
Creature Comforts can turn their hoppy pilsner, Bibo in less than 4 weeks. They use Bock yeast. I believe the Hella Bock yeast from Wyeast. Not sure if the Bock yeast from WL is the same strain. Wyeast version is PC. They use it specifically because it matures and floccs fast and they can turn the beer quickly.

Wyeast 2206 is one of the more flocculent lager strains. You pitch a metric ton of it and spund you could have it ready in 30 days even without a diacetyl rest.

34/70 in the low 50s maybe, but you’d definitely have to fine it.

I’d make a Kolsch.

I agree on a Kolsch. It could pass as a Lager for sure.

If you can do liquid, i’d use 2206 (Bavarian Lager) or 2278 (Czech Pils). Both of those yeasts flock hard and fast if you drop them to 30F for a week or so.

Just make sure you pitch a TON of active cells for primary @50F. I’m talking like a 4L starter plus a vitality starter on brew day for 5 gallons of 1.048 wort. If you can do that, and give them enough oxygen, primary should be done in 5-7 days no D rest needed. Then drop to 30F and carb and you can be drinking in 3 weeks.

If you can’t go liquid, i’d go with the dry California lager yeast. That would do in a pinch.

W34/70 or WLP940. If you have the temp control I'd recommend 940 if you can get it and do the quick lager method. It's almost as forgiving as 34/70 and stupid clean.

Agreed. 940 on a quick temp schedule is fine for 30 days.

3470 can be done in as little as two weeks at 68f. Lots of time for dry hopping there.

189 can also do high temp, quick turn. Its got a maltier profile to me vs 3470.

If you go warm, you can skip the starter hassle.

Thanks everybody, great information. I went with M54 California Lager, in part because I already have some experience with it, and partly because I didn't have the time to build up a starter from liquid. No LHBS here so everything has to be ordered, adding a few extra days to the whole process. Brewed it yesterday, so the race is on!

Thanks everybody, great information. I went with M54 California Lager, in part because I already have some experience with it, and partly because I didn't have the time to build up a starter from liquid. No LHBS here so everything has to be ordered, adding a few extra days to the whole process. Brewed it yesterday, so the race is on!
That's a solid yeast, you won't be disappointed!

When it comes to dry lager yeast the only one I've used is 34/70. I see where Lallemand (Danstar) has a dry lager yeast now. Has anyone tried that one? How would it do for a quick turnaround?

Latest posts

Back