Which burner would you choose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowan57

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I am currently looking for 2 burners for my HLT and BK. This is for 5 gallon (finished volume) batches with est. 7.5 gallon boil requirement.

I am trying to decide between these two:

Square Frame, 7.5kw output.

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Square_Gas_Boiling_Ring.html

Round frame, 8.8kw output.

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Round_Gas_Boiling_Ring.html

There is a price difference which I don't mind if required. I am wondering if using the second option the kettles will sit too close to the flame?

I think they come out at around 26k btu and 30k btu respectively. I don't think the red one is actually Cast, I'm pretty sure it's steel.

I see that the Dark Star is 54000 BTU, I don't seem to be able to find anything at that power here in the UK but will have a good look.

Thanks!

Thanks Ozarks. Yeah I see the reviews are mixed. We certainly don't have the choice you do in the US, I'm not sure if that's down to our regulations or what. I am not in a huge rush to order as I won't get to brew until after Xmas anyway so I will keep looking. I did look at importing from the U.S. As the exchange rate is favourable and things are cheaper for you guys anyway but I see I may have problems with the US gas fittings.

I would check to make sure they can hold the weight of volume of liquid in your kettles. The two you have links to so not look all that stable...

I have read that 5 gal Brewers do use these type over here, but I would prefer cast iron than sheet steel.

I did eventually order the burners and they arrived today! Placeholder for images.

I did eventually order the burners and they arrived today! Placeholder for images.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't go under 9 kilowatts. Anything less than that is a toy when it comes to bringing a large kettle to a boil.

What is the precise weight of one burner? I might like to order and need to calculate postage.

Thank you. Basic shipping cost covers up to 30kg, so I could order two of them and then something else...

No problem! If I can get the gas bottles this afternoon I plan to test fire the burners so will let update with how I get on.

No problem! If I can get the gas bottles this afternoon I plan to test fire the burners so will let update with how I get on.

Do it in the wind, or point a big fan directly at them. That's the real test.

I don't have much choice when it comes to the wind, its always windy here! In fact days when its really still feel very strange, like something is wrong.

About 15 minutes to heat 14L strike water from cold. In the process of heating 26L water from cold to a boil, will report back.

It has taken about 55 minutes for 26L cold water to come to a rolling boil. Given the water temperature coming out of the tap and a good breeze, I don't think thats bad (and I wont normally be starting 26L from cold, but from mash temp). It seems to maintain a good boil. I am now doing a 1 hour boil to test my boil off rate more accurately.

I have this sucker http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not sure if the Bayous are available on Amazon.uk, but it is a beast. 150,000BTU gets any quanity of water up to temp in a hurry. I think the worst conditions I used it in, it was roughly 35F (2C) outside with 10-15MPH winds (16-24kph for ya'll).

It took roughly 10 minutes at full power to take 13L of water for BiaB mash from tap temps (58F) to 165F mash in for a Dopplebock.

In the summer time on a calm day its generally in the 5-6 minute range at full power.

It also simmers really well, so its decent on gas. I do a two step mash, with generally 60% volume in my 6 gallon pot and then steep in my 5 gallon pot with the other 40% and then combine volumes back in to my 6-gallon pot for my 3.5-5 gallon batches and I'll go the other direction if doing a 2.5-3 gallon batch (for better coverage with my immersion chiller in the 5 gallon pot for the smaller batches).

I typically get between 7-9 brews out of a 19lb propane cannister, depending on the exact weather and the size of the batch. I am currently on brew #8 on my 19lb cannister, and it feels like I might have a single 4-5 gallon brew out of it (60 minute boils, BTW, 90 minute boils of course cuts way down on how many I can get out of a cannister). Fortunately I can raid the propane cannister for my grill if/when I run out during a brew session.

In the winter time though, I mostly use my electric stove indoors. Even in the summer time, it is likely cheaper than using propane for brewing, even figuring in the added AC costs as well as the electric cost of the stove, but it is a lot more fun to use the propane burner (and cuts the heating time in half, or more). Less messy on my kitchen and better for my marriage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Podz, just a heads up. THe 3 burner thing isn't quite what it seems, you don't light one ring at a time, you kinda light half then a 3rd then the other third.

Azazel,

We can't get those here unfortunately. I couldn't find anything like as powerful. My stove can only really boil 2-3 gallons, so propane it is! Thanks!

Podz, just a heads up. THe 3 burner thing isn't quite what it seems, you don't light one ring at a time, you kinda light half then a 3rd then the other third.

Not sure I understand. Any way you could make a short video?

Yep let me try and do it today when the internet guy has been and fixed my ****.

We'all don't use Kilometers Per Hour to report wind speed, but thanks for making an effort ;-)

Meters Per Second is the standard. The abbreviation is m/s.

I wish we could all just get along and use metric. It would make life sooooo much simpler.

I feel like the UK has it worse with its mix of metric and ENGLISH Imperial units (which are often different than AMERICAN Imperial units). Or at least it is a heck of a lot harder for me being from the US. When is a gallon not a gallon? When one is American and one is English.

Sigh.

Also, just take my KPH and divide by 3.6, there you go :D

I wish we could all just get along and use metric. It would make life sooooo much simpler.

I feel like the UK has it worse with its mix of metric and ENGLISH Imperial units (which are often different than AMERICAN Imperial units). Or at least it is a heck of a lot harder for me being from the US. When is a gallon not a gallon? When one is American and one is English.

Sigh.

Yep I use a mingle mixture. Height = Feet/Inches. Distance = Miles. Weight = Lbs/Oz or G/KG. Temperature = ºC (Fahrenheit = gibberish). I don't very often report windspeed so it hasn't come up :)

Sigh.

The American system is called "customary", not imperial. You all never had an empire ;-)

I can only do Stone in body weight. It makes no sense to me otherwise. And I can only do full or half Stone, I have no clue what goes in to them (Lbs & Oz's?).

Rain stopped play today Podz, I am planning to brew on Saturday, will video then if not before.

Latest posts

Back