Which Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_ajk

Reaction score
Im new to homebrew and was wondering if anyone knows what major brewing companies still use return bottles? I wouldnt mind picking up about 4 cases of returns for the deposit price of around $1.50 :p....any info would be much appreciated! Thanks all

I really like Sam Adams bottles. They hold up well, are easy to cap, and the labels come off really easily!

Otherwise, I also have Bell's, New Glarus, New Belgium, and Lakefront Brewery bottles. These are small breweries and you may not be able to get them where you are. Any microbrew tends to work well, not so much for the big breweries.

I've used any brown bottle that isn't twist off that I can easily get the label off of. You can also check your local brew supply shop. People step up to kegging and sell off the bottles cheap.

I like the bottles from "Flying Dog Ales" and "Sweetwater Brewery". They use the same kind of bottles that you get at the home brew store.

Also, I've got 4 cases of corona/corona light bottles that a bartender friend of mine saved for me. Well they're clear bottles and some people frown on that, but I put them to good use anyway.

My favorite way to get new bottles is just to go and pick out a six pack of something I've never tried before that comes in a returnable bottle. I know thats kind of weird to pay $7-8 for 6 bottles, but I get to try some new and different beers and get a feel for what I like and dont like and get ideas for what I might like to brew. I totally didn't know I liked porter or stouts untill just a couple weeks ago. Its nice to try new things and get some bottles at the same time.

That's absolutely the best way to add to the bottle supply and find new styles. The big liquor store near me lets you make up mix packs. It'll cost a little extra but it's like r&d work.

Mutilated1 said:
My favorite way to get new bottles is just to go and pick out a six pack of something I've never tried before that comes in a returnable bottle. I know thats kind of weird to pay $7-8 for 6 bottles, but I get to try some new and different beers and get a feel for what I like and dont like and get ideas for what I might like to brew. I totally didn't know I liked porter or stouts untill just a couple weeks ago. Its nice to try new things and get some bottles at the same time.

That is the same way I do it. It gives me an excuse to always buy more beer! I also get a lot of bottles off of Craigslist.

See my CraigsList Ad Here

I'm steadily building up a good supply of bottles. I have 9 cases of bottles right now that have beer in them, and about 2 or 3 more cases of empties. I have also started to cellect wine bottles and 220z bombers. I am actually picking up 5 more cases of bottles and a few grlosch bottles today.:D

Thanks for the fast replies!...U guys are amazing. in the time since i was on here earlier today i decided to call up the local distribution center in my area to see if they had some bottles they could sell me. Well it just happened that they had about 16 cases of bottles that were discontinued from the return style cases. So i ended up buying 11 cases for future use...i know...SPLURGE...but im in college and cant afford kegging equips so bottles will have to do for now...thanks for all the help!

Back