Which batch to use for 1st keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borealis

Reaction score
So my initial kegging system is one the way. Starting very small, just one keg to fit in my fridge as it currently exists. I want to have something on tap for Thanksgiving since I will have some family here. Here is my beer situation:
I have a porter that will be 4 weeks in primary today and I have an English pale ale that I brewed last Sunday. Clearly the porter will be in better drinking shape at Thanksgiving, but I know the pale ale will appeal to more people.

So is there any chance I could keg the pale ale after about 3 weeks in the primary and give it a little over a week to carbonate?

Or, should I just keg the porter that will be a better age, but probably just appeal to less people?

Thanks as usual.

I think it will be relatively clear b/c it is a flocculent yeast, I am just a little concerned that it won't be aged enough, but I don't have any concept of kegging yet.

I usually notice how much better a beer tastes after a few weeks of carbonation. But rarely have I had a beer that is undrinkable until it ages some.
Here's what I would do/think. If I knew my family wanted a pale ale, I would expect them to be happier with a green tasting pale ale, than a wonderful porter. Also, I know my family wouldn't know a green tasting pale ale from a mature one.

If I knew my family wanted a pale ale, I would expect them to be happier with a green tasting pale ale, than a wonderful porter. Also, I know my family wouldn't know a green tasting pale ale from a mature one.

That's a good point, sad but true. I also wanted to have some bottles of this porter around to let age for a while and slowly enjoy.

Well if you're going to bottle...
When I had a single/double keg setup and in your situation, I would bottle some of both batches, then keg the rest of one, and let the other one sit in secondary. Then you have bottles of both for later/taking somewhere, and you'll get to experience both beers on tap.

Keg the pale on the 13th. That will give it three weeks in primary and 12 days of carbing. Should be pretty drinkable by then.

:mug:

Back