Which base grain to buy in bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
My wife bought me a grain mill for my birthday a few weeks ago. I want to start buying base gain in bulk but I was hoping for some recommendations. I usually use american 2-row, but I really like using marris otter. buying in bulk from my LHBS, MO isn't much more per pound in bulk than 2-row. I also noticed they have Muton's Pale Malt, which I have never used before. It's about 10 cents cheaper per pound than MO in bulk. So I guess my question is, which one between MO and Mutons Pale Malt would be best suided for most styles. Thanks! :mug:

Just buy whichever you like more. 2row is more common, but there are a lot of people who use MO for all their beers.

This will of course depend on the style of beer you enjoy and brew the most of. In answer to your question, my pick would be the MO.

I think 2-row would be my grain of choice in bulk. I like it because of the flexibility; while MO for instance I think is better in my IPAs, there are a number of styles where it just wouldn't work for my palate. 2-row for me has been the universal grain in many of my beers.

I think it just really comes down to what style you think you are going to brew most and if you think you can brew 50-lbs worth before the grain gets too old. Good luck!

Yeah, I agree with what others said here. Depends on both your taste preferences and what you brew most often. I personally would get the MO, since I don't usually make very light American beers (e.g. blonde, cream ale, light lagers), and I like the extra bready depth that English malt tends to add.

Thanks everyone. I usually brew browns, porters, stouts, and of course a pale or IPA once in a while. I'm thinking MO might be the best way to go.

Personally for most of my beers, I split the two now and use both. I almost never do 100% of either anymore. So up to you.

Latest posts

Back