Which air fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Holy cow, there has to be at least a half million models out on the market now.

I finally reached the point where I want one. We are a family of four with 2 young ones. Lots of dino nuggets, frozen corn dogs etc. I've heard good things about them from friends but when I research those brands, it seems that I can't find much info.

Here is what I want in an air fryer (I could be talked into other features though?)-

-large enough capacity to make nuggets and maybe tater tots for 4
-not too big. I'll want to shuttle back and forth from pantry when we are using it.
-We already have an instant pot thing, so I don't need a combo unit. Same goes for a food dehydrator.
-It would be convenient for us to buy through the giant online retailer that starts with an A.

Any suggestions?

Just get the biggest one you can. My complaint is I can’t get a whole bag of tots in mine.

You don’t need any of the control features like an instant pot. Mine is analog and it works just fine.

Mine is analog as well and I love it. I'm still sorting out everything it can do and try to use it for something every day. In fact, I just used it a few minutes ago to warm up a few meatballs that I made in it last week. I do wish it was a little bigger though. It cooked a half pack of bacon perfectly (for corn chowder) but when I tried a whole pack (for bacon chowder), that required over-lapping, which made everything come out unevenly.

Last edited:
This is the one we use, there are 4 of us. Probably use it at least 3-4 times a week. Nuggets, tots (which are excellent), wings, whole chicken, fish, asparagus. It has a divider to fry 2 different items at once. Simple and easy to use and fairly cheap compared to some other models. When we’re done I throw it in the bottom of our pantry closet.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Air-Fr...620332&sprefix=Power+air+fryer,aps,178&sr=8-3

This is the one we use, there are 4 of us. Probably use it at least 3-4 times a week. Nuggets, tots (which are excellent), wings, whole chicken, fish, asparagus. It has a divider to fry 2 different items at once. Simple and easy to use and fairly cheap compared to some other models. When we’re done I throw it in the bottom of our pantry closet.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Air-Fryer-XL-Quart/dp/B01M036C6E/ref=sr_1_3?crid=U6BS4RQ1AYFT&dchild=1&keywords=power+air+fryer+xl&qid=1611620332&sprefix=Power+air+fryer,aps,178&sr=8-3
Easy to use and cheap- that’s my motto.
I’ll check it out. Thanks for tip.

My mom bought us this one that's a combination convection oven, toaster oven, and air fryer for Christmas (about a month early so we are 2 months into using it.) It was specifically planned to make bar-food in our basement bar but we've used the air fryer function for dinner a number of times and it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TO...d=aps&qid=1611618425&sprefix=air+fryer&sr=8-3
I have the same one. Got it to mainly replace the toaster oven and add a fryer without adding another appliance, mainly use it to air fry things these days unless the kid is toasting up frozen waffles for breakfast.

How does one clean those meshed racks? And are they chromed mild steel, or stainless?

I'll admit to a passing curiosity about the whole "air frying" paradigm as The Spousal Unit doesn't do "fried" because of the whole fats and oils thing.
But the last thing we'd want is something that's a pita to clean. and from here that looks like a pita to clean...

Cheers!

[edit] fwiw, the Cuisinart user guide says the removable parts "are not dishwasher safe" which I presume means they are chromed carbon steel and require hand washing. And the Amazon reviews specifically ding that unit for "it's impossible to clean"...

@AzOr Hey Az, if you guys have an instapot already they make an air fryer attachment for it. Personally we have a Gourmia that does a decent job, biggest problem being its to small for larger meals.
Wirecutter seems to really like the countertop convection ovens. When our toaster oven dies I will be replacing it with one of these models and getting rid of the Gourmia.

How does one clean those meshed racks? And are they chromed mild steel, or stainless?
I assumed my Hamilton Beach unit is stainless, but it doesn't really say. There are no warnings against using a dishwasher but I hand wash everything. A quick scrub with a nylon brush and everything comes right off.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Air-Fryer-XL-Quart/dp/B01M036C6E/ref=sr_1_3?crid=U6BS4RQ1AYFT&dchild=1&keywords=power+air+fryer+xl&qid=1611620332&sprefix=Power+air+fryer,aps,178&sr=8-3
That’s the winner. My wife ordered it and it arrived on Saturday. Just in time to test it out on super bowl snacks.
Did a small batch of fries. They came out delicious and fast. Then did 2 batches of Buffalo wings. Those came out great!
I think I’m gonna like this thing.
It’s a little bigger than I thought but is still manageable.

Thanks for all the great advice.

fwiw, I had my first "air fryer" experience Sunday at youngest son & DIL's and I will say the wings we had were excellent with nicely crisped skin.
They have one of these. It's apparently one of the largest models sold - and it sports one of the busiest control panels I've seen on anything this size :D

1612846023253.png

Even with the large capacity, they only made roughly a dozen wings at a time. But they got two batches in the oven to start and kept feeding the fryer, and that worked for the four of us - we paced our way through 5 pounds of wings during the game :)

Not sure it would be as good with more than four people though wolfing down wings faster than the machine could cook them - iirc it took 30 minutes per batch, with a few turns during the process...

Cheers!

Hi guys which one do you recommend that is a good buy? One that can fit more than just 1 potato in it? Suggestions please
Mine is a good size, but occasionally I still run out of room.
It can also be a pita to clean as the basket drips onto the door/hinge when you pull it out.
That said, it is pretty rare that I fix a meal without using it for something.
When I replace, it will probably be with one of the 32 qt models.

I've had several air fryers, Corsair, Kitchenaid, and my most recent is this Instant Pot brand Vortex Pro. It is by far the easiest to clean of any I've had, the two racks make for more space to clean, and also it serves additional use as a toaster which is functionality we use quite a bit. The racks and drip pan are all dishwasher friendly, I wipe the window down every few uses. This is a little niche, but if crumbs fall into the hinge I use a little $25 shopvac I bought from Target to clean it right out, it's a dedicated "kitchen only" shopvac with a 1-gallon container, and I've found it to be super handy for cleaning up little kitchen messes, coffee grounds, etc. and that way it doesn't mix with floor-messes like a vacuum, or mucky garage/outdoor messes like a larger shopvac.

A convection oven is a giant air fryer. It does the same thing, it just takes longer because it’s a bigger space.

I won’t recommend the air fryer I have. It’s too big and I can’t fit enough inside it.

Just get the biggest one you can. My complaint is I can’t get a whole bag of tots in mine.

You don’t need any of the control features like an instant pot. Mine is analog and it works just fine.
And, one with two drawers works well, so you can cook two things separatley - different temps etc.

A convection oven is a giant air fryer. It does the same thing, it just takes longer because it’s a bigger space.

I won’t recommend the air fryer I have. It’s too big and I can’t fit enough inside it.
Mine has both Airfryer and Convection Oven settings. I've never been able to tell what the difference is.

Mine has both Airfryer and Convection Oven settings. I've never been able to tell what the difference is.
does it still make that loud air fryer 'whirring noise' when you switch it too convection setting??

Kalorik Maxx. 26 qt capacity. It looks like a microwave with double doors. It has a rotisserie. I have made Gyros on my countertop. I got a mesh basket for the rotisserie rod and I have cooked all kinds of things in it; sweet potato fries, mushrooms, bell peppers, roasted pecans and hazelnuts. It’s awesome. The roasted pecans got soaked in Maker’s Mark, then reduced to a sauce for flan. The Hazelnuts are soaking in vodka to make a liqueur. That will get mixed with a chocolate liqueur 👍🏻

Attachments

• IMG_6579.MOV
    19.1 MB
  • 94F68CCC-BD5F-49FB-9371-DF51B40CB8B7.jpeg
    94F68CCC-BD5F-49FB-9371-DF51B40CB8B7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back