Where to find oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hardware stores. With the blue propane and yellow mapp tanks for soldering torches. By plumbing stuff a lot of times.

I bought mine in 2014 after burning thru 3 of the red ones and it's just off the green. Lets just say that the pressure testing date will be way old by the time I empty it.

This is what I was told, but every hardware store - including the big chains and the local ones - have stopped selling them.

thats crazy. i just bought one last week at HD for my propane torch....

in any case, you either need to spend some cash and get a big tank, like the kind used for co2. and that's the one you're gonna need to get filled at airgas, praxair, welding supply, etc. etc.

the other alternative is to go on craigslist and pick up the thin candlestick ones used for medical oxygen. you can usually get those fairly cheap. sometimes even free. i dont know if you can get those filled/swapped at the usual gas places (the ones i noted above) but at minimum you can just find out where the old people get theirs and go there. its probably a swap system as well. likely gonna be a medical supply house that sells oxygen, wheelchairs, hospital beds for your home, canes, walkers,, etc etc. ask a local old person and they can probably tell you.

I just bit the bullet and bought a 5# tank from a welding gas supplier. It is definitely not cheap, but it will last me several years
Yeah, maybe I'll go this route. I was hoping to find those little red disposable tanks. I don't really brew enough to justify a big tank, but I would like to try oxygenating. Seems like it might not be worth the headache though.

Are you in Canada? I am, and I remember the tanks disappearing because of a change in laws that meant that only 'certified welding suppliers' were allowed to carry oxygen cylinders. I can still get them at 2 of my local Canadian Tire stores. If you're in Canada, just go to the store that carries welding equipment.

This is what I was told, but every hardware store - including the big chains and the local ones - have stopped selling them.
There was a supply chain shortage about 10 months ago. I had to drive 40 miles to find a Lowe's that had any in stock, and there are at least 10 Lowes and equal number of 'Homers' within reasonable driving radius. Happy to report I'm seeing them locally now, after panic-buying a half dozen last Fall.

the other alternative is to go on craigslist and pick up the thin candlestick ones used for medical oxygen. you can usually get those fairly cheap. sometimes even free. i dont know if you can get those filled/swapped at the usual gas places (the ones i noted above) but at minimum you can just find out where the old people get theirs and go there. its probably a swap system as well. likely gonna be a medical supply house that sells oxygen, wheelchairs, hospital beds for your home, canes, walkers,, etc etc. ask a local old person and they can probably tell you.
I tried this approach and GenAir indicated they needed a prescription to exchange the skinny tank. I talked to a couple Doc friends and it was a pain to go that route. The good folks at GenAir gave me a credit to apply against the purchase of the small industrial O2 tank that will last a long time. I got a regulator online for about $20.

Happy to report I'm seeing them locally now, after panic-buying a half dozen last Fall.
You probably could have bought a 20 or 40 cu.ft. tank for about the same outlay. ;)

I estimate my 40 cu ft O2 tank will last me several lifetimes of brewing.

I also use it when making starters, to get them started. Stick the wand in the jar or flask at 1/32 l/m for about 10' with a good swirl every 30-60 seconds or so. Maybe too much??? I dunno know, can you overdo it?

There was a definite shortage during COVID; I even read stories about medical O2 being short supply to hospitals.

Ace,home depot, lowes any of those types of stores, welding shops

I bought a medical tank from another homebrewer and it still had some in it. Before it ran it out, a friend who was on oxygen exchanged it for me. It will probably last me through the end of my time as a home brewer (I'm 65).

I bought a medical tank from another homebrewer and it still had some in it. Before it ran it out, a friend who was on oxygen exchanged it for me. It will probably last me through the end of my time as a home brewer (I'm 65).

....some would see that as a challenge to be accepted....

....some would see that as a challenge to be accepted....
well that was exactly what i was implying when i said to go pick one up off craigslist. my old neighbor got one off craigslist after somebody died, so it still had gas in it. think he said he gave them 20 bucks.

i dont know about the volume those things hold, but if spartan1979 is right then maybe you get lucky and never have to bother with a refill.

+1 on the medical O2.
I bought a full tank on a cart with flow regulator on CL for $20 about 6 years ago. Still half full!

Food grade O2, a sizable tank, from a gas supplier. Airgas supplied me and while it was expensive (~$100) it was a one-time expense. Using a real regulator is a bonus. Just be sure to secure your tank. (Always secure your tanks.)

My last 20 cu ft tank lasted about 4 years and 125 brews (mostly 5 gal batches). And I typically oxygenate at 2.0 for 45-60 seconds. I’m about 20 brews into my current tank. The initial outlay for a bigger tank is pretty $pensive but much less than the equivalent number of mini-Lowes tanks.

Back