Where to buy silicone tubine in Vancouver, BC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I was just checking that site out again, and I've realised that they don't actually have silicone tubing. You could try a medical supply place. Or head down to Hastings street and ask a junkie ;)

I think this was the website I was thinking of, and I'm pretty sure they do sell silicone tubing, but they're closed until November 1. And they're in Australia, so I don't know what shipping would be like. Online shopping is still a little backward in Australia.
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/notice/

You might want to call Canadian Homebrew Supplies to see if than get it for you. It is more than likely they would be willing to help you in your mission.

You might want to call Canadian Homebrew Supplies to see if than get it for you. It is more than likely they would be willing to help you in your mission.

Thanks. I emailed a nice guy there...Randy. He told talked me into forgoing the silicone. I'll make do with braided vinyl for my mash wort transfer. I guess I could always buy a different adapter and go up to 1/2" ID.

Another option is to set up a mailbox account in Blaine, Sumas or Point Roberts Washington. Then you find what you need from an American Company and have them mail it there. I have had good luck with Package Express in Sumas. You set up an account, and only pay when an item is mailed there. (Not a monthly charge etc). This also works well for McMaster Carr and other companies that won't bother with the hassle of shipping to Canada.

Green Line Hose and Fittings on Venables. They do cash and carry and have all manner of hoses, and fittings. Their food-safe hose is mostly PVC but they have lots of silicone hose for other applications. They also have "brewer's hose" that is supposed to stand up better to high alcohol content but I'm not too sure why it's needed.

www.greenlinehose.com

Green Line Hose and Fittings on Venables. They do cash and carry and have all manner of hoses, and fittings. Their food-safe hose is mostly PVC but they have lots of silicone hose for other applications. They also have "brewer's hose" that is supposed to stand up better to high alcohol content but I'm not too sure why it's needed.

www.greenlinehose.com

Thanks! I couldn't find anything on their online site, but I'll give them a call. Cheers!:mug:

Went to greenline online just now and didn't see any silicone tubing like homebrewers use any luck in contacting them? The online Vernon store does have it but it's a bit pricey!

I couldn't find any around Vancouver so I ordered from Brewers Hardware. At $2 per foot even with shipping its much cheaper than from Canadian Homebrew Supplies (which was the only Canadian source I found).

The key to not being raped by brokerage charges is to ship USPS only. Sure they may not be as fast as UPS/FedEx, but there is often no charge for brokerage at all...

Thanks It's a pain to get some products for brewing up here, been looking for sainless camlocks and found a great price down in the States but shipping was more then the items themselves and only offered UPS:confused:

Thanks It's a pain to get some products for brewing up here, been looking for sainless camlocks and found a great price down in the States but shipping was more then the items themselves and only offered UPS:confused:

Well you could work with UPS in a pinch... Just do the following to make sure you don't get banged up with brokerage:

Once you get a tracking number you call UPS and tell them you are going to 'self-broker' that package. They will call you when it arrives at the warehouse out at YVR. You go and pick up the paperwork from UPS at the north side of the airport and drive down to close to the passenger terminal to Customs. Take paperwork in and pay CBSA your pound of flesh (HST only, should be no duty for made in USA products). They stamp your paperwork paid. Return to UPS and they will release your stuff to you upon seeing the Customs stamp. Voila! You just saved a bundle. Last time I went through the process it took me about half an hour all tolled...

It is a bit of a drive from Port Moody to go to Richmond, but it can be worth it. When you are talking about a $50 brokerage fee (like my last time with UPS) it is well worth the drive. I also bundle as many items on one order to reduce shipping costs. Combining the two techniques makes ordering from down south economically feasible for me.

Went to greenline online just now and didn't see any silicone tubing like homebrewers use any luck in contacting them? The online Vernon store does have it but it's a bit pricey!

Give Greenline a call or stop by in person. I ended up sticking with a reinforced vinyl tube for going from my partial mash tun to my kettle, but I may check it out if I get too concerned.

Sorry, I was just checking that site out again, and I've realised that they don't actually have silicone tubing. You could try a medical supply place. Or head down to Hastings street and ask a junkie ;)

I think this was the website I was thinking of, and I'm pretty sure they do sell silicone tubing, but they're closed until November 1. And they're in Australia, so I don't know what shipping would be like. Online shopping is still a little backward in Australia.
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/notice/

Yes we carry the 1/2" ID silicon Hose
Randy

Back