DIY silicone seal for keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2LiveBrewCrew

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of applying silicone to the top of the collar and then cover the silicone with Saran wrap and close the lid to make/form a new seal? I have small gaps between the top of the collar and rubber gasket on the keezer lid. I heard about this method but can't find directions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
2LBC

My girlfriend's father did this with a walk-in cooler he turned into a smoker. It's inside his barn and vents outdoors so I assume it holds well.

From what I remember he put a bead of silicone around the rim, placed plastic wrap on it, and closed the door to wait for it to dry.

I don't think the proposed silicone "gasket" would work anywhere near as well as weather stripping as the latter will be far more compliant than the former.

When I built a custom lid for my current (3rd) keezer I found a Frost King self-sticking weather stripping product at Lowes that is two EPDM foam "D" cross-sections joined in the center that came as a roll. Looks similar to this picture.

1683992143820.png

I laid down the tape intact so there are the side-by-side twin runs and mitered the corners. It seals better than any freezer lid I've ever had (three of them so far)...

1683992041314.png

Cheers!

I’ve done the silicone seal on a smaller scale for a waterproof box. I used waxed paper instead of Saran Wrap and it worked perfectly. But you have to leave it for at least overnight to properly set.

Latest posts

Back