Where to buy Corny kegs ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennesse

Reaction score
I need to buy 4 more Corny kegs.

Here's a quick sample of offerings I found:

More Beer - $49.95 free-shipping - 'Kegs are sold "as is".' - I assume that means you can't return them

Adventures in Homebrewing $40 plus shipping - "If you are unhappy with your used 5 Gallon Cornelius Kegs for any reason, we will gladly take them back."

Cornykeg.com - $49.95 + shipping - Pepsi Ball lock - Grade A
Cornykeg.com - $42.95 + shipping - Used Pepsi Ball Lock Keg - "If you are unhappy with the function of the corny keg you may return it for a full refund"

LHBS - $55 - last time I looked, they had a range of beat-to-death to nice. I guess I could cherry-pick them, but it's a 4 hour round trip ($30+ gasoline)

I'd rather pay a little more for nicer ones. I know it's always the luck of the draw when they pull the next one off the pile, but has anyone had particularly good (or bad) luck with any of the suppliers?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. I recently lucked out and picked up two pristine Cornelius brand ball locks from a retired homebrewer. Hardly a scratch on them. Took 'em apart and besides the o-rings, they are in perfect shape. $20 each. I'm spoiled now...

Did you check kegconnection? They are really fast and have frequent sales. Check the vendor showcase.

Adventures in homebrew - good guys but i have not gotten kegs from them. Kegglebrewing.com - I have ordered from them and they are listing corny kegs for $30. Good trustworthy resource. Good luck!

I bought 2 off Ebay for $90 shipped. The guy I bought them from has deals on 4 keg lots also.

- Destin

Great store, but no manual relief valve? How would you depressurize the keg? No thanks.

I saw this "special" too. But the manual valve is great for burping the air out when filling the keg with CO2. I guess you could do this with a gas QD, but it just seems penny-wise pound-foolish to me.

Dave

Adventures in homebrew - good guys but i have not gotten kegs from them. Kegglebrewing.com - I have ordered from them and they are listing corny kegs for $30. Good trustworthy resource. Good luck!

I thought this place was my little secret (Adventures in Homebrewing). I have ordered 2 pin lock kegs from them so far. I find that they are cheaper than most. The kegs are in good shape for being a few decades old. If you find some cheaper please share.

Take a look at http://stores.ebay.com/mceverdistributors I purchased two a few months back. I opted for the cheaper kegs. Fast shipping, kegs were in better shape that I anticipated. Communicate with the guy and he will work with you on shipping costs.

That is pretty cheap $33 total shipping included (to Virginia). I have all pin locks i might convert...lol.... NOOOOPE!!!!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your recommendations. I bought 4 from McEver. Will let you know my review once I've received them.

Thanks,
Dave

I stopped by McEver earlier this week and picked out 4 ball locks from their $29 stack. Very nice folks, and let me hand pick from hundreds. Kegs seem to be in good shape (stickers, a few dings, aged but very serviceable rubber), and all were pressurized.

They have another huge stack of $40 ball locks that are in better condition (very good rubber, little to no dings and stickers, more shiny).

Remember, the shipping price that is quoted on their ebay site is much higher than what they will quote over the phone.

Cornykeg.com has been the source for 8 of my newest kegs. Never had one arrive that wouldn't hold pressure and completely satisfied with my purchase. May not be the absolute cheapest, but I won't buy them from anywhere else as a testimony to their service.

I just ordered 4 kegs from Kegglebrewing via your recommendation that they are a good trustworthy source for kegs. I really just care about how well these work and not so much about it they have stickers on the outside or minor scratches. Have you been satisfied with all of your kegs from kegglebrewing?

Thanks for your recommendations. I bought 4 from McEver. Will let you know my review once I've received them.

Sorry it's taken so long. I purchased the $39 "Class A" kegs from McEver Distributors. The kegs I received four days later were quite nice - all modern, one dingless, 3 with one small ding each, all with good rubber, all very nice in appearance.

Yes, functionality is more important than appearance. But my all-grain brewing takes me a full day, and I want to feel proud of the container I put my finished product in, even if I'm the only one who will see it. Actually, I'm taking a keg to a party this weekend - would you want to drink someone's homebrew out of something that looks like it got run over by a truck?

I plan to keep brewing for 10 years, so each nicer keg costs $1 extra per year.

Shipping from Florida to Virginia would have been $46 for all four kegs. My buddy owns a heavy truck garage with loading dock, etc., so I had them ship the kegs there, and saved $8 or $10 going to a commercial address. Slightly inconvenient, but that saved the money for one "upgrade". Maybe your boss will let you have them shipped to your place of employment? Don't try to fool FedEx by pretending your house is a commercial address though - FedEx wasn't born yesterday.

I stopped by McEver earlier this week and picked out 4 ball locks from their $29 stack. Very nice folks, and let me hand pick from hundreds. Kegs seem to be in good shape (stickers, a few dings, aged but very serviceable rubber), and all were pressurized.

They have another huge stack of $40 ball locks that are in better condition (very good rubber, little to no dings and stickers, more shiny).

Remember, the shipping price that is quoted on their ebay site is much higher than what they will quote over the phone.

Calling people on the phone usually gets you better service/better deal than being some anonymous entity on the Internet. Of course, if you're fortunate enough to be able to go in person, you get the best.

Bottom Line - McEver Distributors = good kegs, good service, good prices. I'll buy from them again. 407-786-7029 www.mceverdistrib.com/5gal-pepsi-pre-mix-tanks

msa8967 said:
I just ordered 4 kegs from Kegglebrewing via your recommendation that they are a good trustworthy source for kegs. I really just care about how well these work and not so much about it they have stickers on the outside or minor scratches. Have you been satisfied with all of your kegs from kegglebrewing?

Sorry, late response, but yes, I've been happy and they have all held pressure. You might get an occasional poppet that needs replaced, but I have 10 kegs and I have had to replace three or four poppets (not all of these were from kegglebrewing) and those are $3-$4 each. It's just expected maintenance in my book.

Watch craigslist like a hawk. Over the past 3 months I have purchased all of my corny kegs (15) for no more than 15 a piece. When theres a deal, pounce. I just picked up 2 for $20 total this weekend but had to drive about 40 min.

My kegs from kegglebrewing arrived today and had two different style of pressure relief valves. Which style valves did you get from this company.

007.jpg

Ditto on watching craigslist. A few weeks ago, I scored 5 ball locks for $100 that were still pressurized with Pepsi syrup in them. They have stickers on them, but are otherwise in excellent condition.

-j

msa8967 said:
My kegs from kegglebrewing arrived today and had two different style of pressure relief valves. Which style valves did you get from this company.

The standard kind with the ring.

last ones that I bought, they still had pepsi residue in them. Bad part was 2 out of the four has spot welds in them from previous "dents/damage".

At least they look pretty clean inside. They buffed/grind down the spot welds inside.

Couldn't tell from the outside that work was don't on them.

The shipping is the killer. Seems like no matter who you go with, the shipping makes it about 40 to 45 a keg...

Watch craigslist like a hawk. Over the past 3 months I have purchased all of my corny kegs (15) for no more than 15 a piece. When theres a deal, pounce. I just picked up 2 for $20 total this weekend but had to drive about 40 min.

OK, I'm moving to the east coast...

Back