Where to Age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
I've got three 120 Minute IPA's in my basement tucked away in a closet in a paper bag. I'm saving them for my wedding which will be roughly in a year and a half. I've been told this beer will last up to 2 years un opened. Is it better to age it in a closet or a refrigerator?

I age all of my beer in a glass, right before it goes in my stomach. Try that.

Otherwise, room temp is fine.

Oh I have a designated beer fridge in the basement. My fiancé once placed a bag of shredded cheese in there and I "set the record straight" haha. But in that case if they don't age as well as they claim to then I do know where to get more when the date gets closer.

It is my understanding that IPAs are best fresh, so I would never age one. IF you want to age one though, I would prefer a wine cooler kept at a constant temp as opposed to a closet. Any type of heat isn't good to preserve flavor. The longer an IPA sits, the more hop flavor and aroma is lost. Again, just my understanding of the subject. I'm only a 3 year craft beer enthusiast, so I could be mistaken. ;)

So what you're telling me is if I have a reliable supply source for when the time comes, I should forget about waiting a year and a half to consume those bad boys and just do it when I please..

DFH120 IS meant to age, you have heard correctly. If you have a basement that isn't subject to tremendous day to day variations in temp then it is probably fine there.

Stone recommends aging/ cellaring their beers (if that's what you're into) at 55 deg F or BELOW, fwiw.

A beer will age faster at higher temps but this recommendation seems to mean if you have the choice between a 45 degree fridge and 70-80 degree room, choose the fridge.

DFH120 IS meant to age, you have heard correctly. If you have a basement that isn't subject to tremendous day to day variations in temp then it is probably fine there.

Stone recommends aging/ cellaring their beers (if that's what you're into) at 55 deg F or BELOW, fwiw.

A beer will age faster at higher temps but this recommendation seems to mean if you have the choice between a 45 degree fridge and 70-80 degree room, choose the fridge.

The basement stays a consistent 58-60F and the fridge stays around the mid to upper 30's. I also have a box un opened of the Barrel Age Collection from Sam Adams. Though not as potent as the 120, they claim it's also meant to age. Though, those were going to be used as anniversary beers (1st year, 2nd, 3rd etc). Instead we may want to use those for the honey moon assuming we can sneak those bad boys on the plane in our luggage.

Back