Where should I go in Germany?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmellis

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Germany for a week in the beginning of April. Does anyone have recommendations for good beer related places to go? I'm going to be in Berlin and Munich at least, but I'm thinking about traveling around small towns in Bavaria. I also speak German, so that helps with the small towns.

I can't offer an opinion about any other time of year, but Munich during Oktoberfest was one of the best times of my life (from what I can remember anyway). Get one of those Rick Steves travel books on Germany as I think he devotes considerable pages detailing these smaller towns up and down the Rhine (castles, medieval towns and stuff like that). As for beer, you can't go wrong anywhere in Munich, but be sure to check out Hofbrauhaus and Augustiner Brau (where my personal favorite German beer is made). Even their version of NYC's Central Park serves killer brew at various places.

There's probably lots and lots of places to go and things to see... but if you want to see Neuschwanstein (Castle that the Disney World castle is modeled after), you can do it in a day right from the train station in Munich to Füssen.

Dachau is worth checking out. It's just northwest of Munich. The town is a beautiful contrast to the sobering camp.

There's probably lots and lots of places to go and things to see... but if you want to see Neuschwanstein (Castle that the Disney World castle is modeled after), you can do it in a day right from the train station in Munich to Füssen.
They need to stop feeding those horses that pull the carraige beefarino.:eek:

We loved Garmisch-Partinkirchen (sp?) in Bavaria. There's good beer all over. Might want to go to the orig Hofbrauhaus in Munich. IIRC, there's a really cool castle/church in Ulm, also right in that area.

The original Hofbrauhaus is where I had my first beer EVER. I was 17 and over there on a school trip. It was amazing, I would say it’s a must see. I will be back someday.

Also, the Eagle's Nest is just across the border in Austria but we never got to see it because some idiot left their passport back in Ulm.

I thought Berlin was awesome - had a much better time there than Munich. I know people like to give Berlin a bad rap, partly because its not as pretty as Munich or Cologne, but if you like history and/or don't care for tourist traps the city has a lot to offer. Lots of good beer gardens, clubs, museums, and cool stuff to see. Plus they got Berliner Weiss.

Back