Where is the cheapest place to buy DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
It's been a while since I brewed a batch of beer with extract but I'm looking to get a good price on light/pilsen DME to use for starters. Right now I can get it for $4.50/lb at my LHBS, which I think is way too expensive. They don't carry 50lb sacks and for them to special order one for me would cost over $200 they said.

From my searching, it looks like RiteBrew has the best price at $112 for 50lbs, which equates to about $2.25/lb. Even with the ~$30 shipping charge, the price per pound still beats any the main online retailers I have checked out.

Does anybody have a source to get DME on the cheap?

Most of us wouldn't want a big bag of DME as it is hygroscopic and once opened tends to absorb just enough water from the air to turn into a chunk with concrete like structure. It will take a hammer to break it apart after sitting for a while. I'd suggest you buy in smaller bags as you need it.

Amazon had a deal yesterday of 3 lbs for $11. Not sure if they still have it but other than that, RiteBrew is where I do most of my recipe shopping.

One of these days we will be bowing down to the amazon robot overlords and paying any price the algorithm decides that day because there will be no other vendor. This dystopian future will be made possible by the rock bottoms; a breed of human driven by only one retail service metric.

Just buy it from your LHBS. You will save on shipping and most importantly support them financially. Supporting local shops should be everyone's priority.
Based on what he said in the original post, his LHBS will be at least $60 more than Ritebrew even when you factor in shipping. It's hard to justify buying from the LHBS if the pricing is that uncompetitive.

Northern brewer has light Pilsen DME for $4.33 a pound in 3 pound bags. If you sign up for their emails and take advantage of 10% to 20% discounts, sometimes with free shipping, you can order multiples. Fifty pound sacks are not included in the discount offers.

Just buy it from your LHBS. You will save on shipping and most importantly support them financially. Supporting local shops should be everyone's priority.
Sometimes if it is the difference between affording and not being able to afford the hobby, it doesn't leave much choice.

The cost of extract is exactly why I first attempted all-grain. My current recipe calls for a 1.093 OG for a 5.5g batch. That's $1.10 a bottle in extract and steeping grains. All grain is $0.77 a bottle.

It's been a while since I brewed a batch of beer with extract but I'm looking to get a good price on light/pilsen DME to use for starters. Right now I can get it for $4.50/lb at my LHBS, which I think is way too expensive. They don't carry 50lb sacks and for them to special order one for me would cost over $200 they said.

From my searching, it looks like RiteBrew has the best price at $112 for 50lbs, which equates to about $2.25/lb. Even with the ~$30 shipping charge, the price per pound still beats any the main online retailers I have checked out.

Does anybody have a source to get DME on the cheap?

Wow...your LHBS isn't helping you at all with that price on 50 LB and I suspect that is a "special order" price for you. We are more inline with RiteBrew. Go back to them and tell them you aren't in any hurry so they don't have to pay exorbitant freight charge and if you wait, what can they do........ Where are you located?

But like another poster said, that stuff is hygroscopic and if all you are doing is starters, it seems like overkill to me.

I am all about supporting my LHBS, I buy from them whenever possible. They have free shipping for online orders also, which makes it super easy for me to buy from them because they are juuuust far enough away that it's very inconvenient to drive there anymore (I used to live closer) but when I order online I have my items on my doorstep two days later for free :) This is the LHBS that doesn't carry bulk extract. I have another LHBS that is closer but I don't like as much, and they are the ones who said they could order it for $200. I should call my preferred LHBS and ask if they can order it and for how much.

Anyway, I had thought about DME being hygroscopic and this was/is a concern of mine. When I buy 3lb bags I usually just roll the bag up, tape it shut, and put it in a ziplock bag and its fine. I was thinking if I could store bulk DME in buckets with gasket lids (like I store my grain) it should hold up fine. Anybody have experience with this?

Just bought 3LBS on Amazon for $11.99. I agree as stated above, buy small bags unless you're going to go through a lot of it quickly.

A three pound bag lasts me a few months. I do use dry yeast in addition to liquid yeasts.

50 pounds is 22679.6 grams. If you do 2 liter starters that would do 113.398 starters. If you brew twice a month that would last 4.725 years!!!

Back