Where is my malt mill!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
So for Christmas my wife orders me a Barley Crusher Malt Mill from Austin Homebrew Supply, along with a huge sack of two row. Now it clearly says on the website that the mill ships directly from the manufacturer. My wife orders it TWO WEEKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

It doesn't show up in time for Christmas... in fact it's STILL not here. I contact Barley Crusher directly to see when it's set to arrive and they tell me they HAVEN'T EVEN MADE IT YET! Three weeks nearly since ordering and it still hasn't even been made!!! I understand the holiday rush and a lot of orders... but come on... really?

There's really no point to this other than that I'm really agitated and wanted to vent. I ordered a bunch of unmilled specialty malts from AHB and now I have close to 100lbs. of grain that I can't do anything with. ARG!!!

Ya I ordered the same one from ahb on Dec. 13th and it showed up on my doorstep on Dec. 23rd. It ships from Michigan, so it might take awhile to get to Texas, but since they haven't even shipped yet, that's bad.

Crap. My barley crusher order was placed with the manufacturer on Jan 4th...I hope I don't have the monster delay.

BrewThruYou - Been almost four weeks. Still no malt mill. Still no email about it having been shipped out. :confused: I have eighty pounds of malt sitting in my beer closet that I can't make beer out of. ARG!

I ordered mine about a week ago and they told me they were still working on Xmas stuff. I too want to do a bulk grain purchase, but can't without the mill.
Is there another manufacturer out there with a comp product?

should have ordered a Monster Mill. Placed order friday before christmas, shipped next day, saturday, received Monday before Christmas. Already brewed a batch with it, amazing machine

BrewThruYou - Been almost four weeks. Still no malt mill. Still no email about it having been shipped out. :confused: I have eighty pounds of malt sitting in my beer closet that I can't make beer out of. ARG!

You're in a worse position than me. I don't have any malt yet...and probably won't get any until later this month. Hopefully, that coincides with when this mill gets delivered.

I think Randy (Barley Crusher) had some issues at his shop. Power issues, system crashes, something of that sort.

I can understand all that. And the guy at AHB said that Barley Crusher runs at 100% capacity all year and during the holidays they just get way behind. What I can't understand is ignoring customer emails and giving people honest dates as to when their product should arrive. There's no excuse for poor customer service.

Any update to yours? I ordered through Austin Homebrew too. Since it's being drop-shipped, I really have no update on the status unless I call barley crusher directly.

Sorry for the delay. We don't have any mills either. Success is a 2 sided coin. The delivery date we have on the website is from the manufacturer. Do you really think it would be cool to put on the site "we have no idea when this mill will arrive" If you think I should I will. I wish him luck. I hope he realizes that he is over his head. He should raise the price and hire more people.

We dropship the mill so that we can have the lowest price possible. We have the lowest price, even cheaper than Barley Crusher.

Should we raise the price by $12 and only ship from the store so there is no delay? If we ship it to the store the shipping is $12 to get to us and then another $12 to get to you. I dont think people want to spend the extra money. Let me know what I should do.

Forrest

When I ordered mine I ordered from Northern Brewer specifically because they stock them and I didn't want to wait.....$125.99....had it in 3 days.

I say leave the price alone... we all need to learn patience! haha and a little patience may come in handy when homebrewing!! :)

(and I'm also waiting on my Barley Crusher)

When I ordered mine I ordered from Northern Brewer specifically because they stock them and I didn't want to wait.....$125.99....had it in 3 days.

Our price is $7.99 less expensive than Northern Brewer. Should I raise the price to match Northern Brewer and ship them from here or keep the price lower and people will have to wait for the manufacturer to catch up?

Would an option be best and let the customer decide? Pay $7.99 and it ships right away or buy it at the lowest price available and have to wait on the manufacture.

Forrest

Let me know what I should do.

Nothing you can do...it's an issue at the manufacturer. Someone earlier said they had some issues and it sounds like they have too many orders for their capacity.

If he is really far behind, I agree about raising the price and hiring more people.

Our price is $7.99 less expensive than Northern Brewer. Should I raise the price to match Northern Brewer and ship them from here or keep the price lower and people will have to wait for the manufacturer to catch up?

Would an option be best and let the customer decide? Pay $7.99 and it ships right away or buy it at the lowest price available and have to wait on the manufacture.

Forrest

As I said, for me the $7.99 shipping price difference was something I was willing to pay to have it ASAP. I guess the issue you will have to decide is do I want to have the lowest price by eight bucks, but then have my business name linked with slow delivery times and service, as in this case. Or, have these items in stock so you know your turn around time. Just my two cents.....do you have the Perlicks in stock or do they come from the manufacturer? I need a couple.

As I said, for me the $7.99 shipping price difference was something I was willing to pay to have it ASAP. I guess the issue you will have to decide is do I want to have the lowest price by eight bucks, but then have my business name linked with slow delivery times and service, as in this case. Or, have these items in stock so you know your turn around time. Just my two cents.....do you have the Perlicks in stock or do they come from the manufacturer? I need a couple.

Right now it doesn't matter how much I charge because the manufacturer is out. Even if I ordered them to ship from here I wouldn't get them. I guess I have time to figure this out.

Forrest

We have the Perlicks in stock but they won't last long at the current price. We always stock these faucets but Perlick is out of these faucets until February. I don't expect the faucet inventory to last the weekend.

Forrest

P.S. Thanks for feeding the homeless. Saw your post.

Sorry for the delay. We don't have any mills either. Success is a 2 sided coin. The delivery date we have on the website is from the manufacturer. Do you really think it would be cool to put on the site "we have no idea when this mill will arrive" If you think I should I will. I wish him luck. I hope he realizes that he is over his head. He should raise the price and hire more people.

We dropship the mill so that we can have the lowest price possible. We have the lowest price, even cheaper than Barley Crusher.

Should we raise the price by $12 and only ship from the store so there is no delay? If we ship it to the store the shipping is $12 to get to us and then another $12 to get to you. I dont think people want to spend the extra money. Let me know what I should do.

Forrest

I have no complaints with you guys at all. I order all of my gear from you and think your store and prices are fantastic. My problem is with Barley Crusher specifically.

I can understand them getting behind during the holidays, but when their customers try to get in touch with them and they just ignore you... it's just bad business.

Fortunately my malt mill arrived on Wednesday and I have since been milling up a storm. Awesome product.

I guess the issue you will have to decide is do I want to have the lowest price by eight bucks, but then have my business name linked with slow delivery times and service, as in this case.

I think that most people wouldn't blame Austin Homebrew. And I believe that the 15 day delivery time on the AHB website is accurate most of the time. I think that most people (like myself) would just take a beef with Barley Crusher specifically.

Same thing here. Had one ordered for me before Xmas and I didn't get it until Wednesday. I must have emailed then 6 or 7 times and all I recieved back was a few vague responses about being behind and the order might ship before the end of the week.

Either way. I have it now and couldn't be happier.

Same thing here. Had one ordered for me before Xmas and I didn't get it until Wednesday. I must have emailed then 6 or 7 times and all I recieved back was a few vague responses about being behind and the order might ship before the end of the week.

Either way. I have it now and couldn't be happier.

Forrest

Here is what I would do, try not to post a comment that somebody might take as being a real smartas$. That is how I took it. I have worked in the customer service field a long time and a simple I will contact the manufacture and see if he can provide me, one of his biggest vendors, with an update.

AHB, is it my understanding that you do not carry inventory on these crushers? all orders places through you get shipped direct to the customer?

if thats the case it might be wise around holidays to buy some for the shelf anticipating a delay in production then you can ship direct to the customer with out them having to wait on the manufacture

-=Jason=-

Here is what I would do, try not to post a comment that somebody might take as being a real smartas$. That is how I took it. I have worked in the customer service field a long time and a simple I will contact the manufacture and see if he can provide me, one of his biggest vendors, with an update.

Sorry if you took it that way. I was not trying to be anything. I was seriously asking what would you do? Barley Crusher doesn't answer our phone calls or emails either.

I hope no one took what I am saying as disrespectful. I am just a straight shooter. I have been contemplating have a rush service on this item. I am sold out and they are shipping what they can so all of the outstanding orders will have priority over my order to stock the floor. I will have to wait as well.

Forrest

AHB, is it my understanding that you do not carry inventory on these crushers? all orders places through you get shipped direct to the customer?

if thats the case it might be wise around holidays to buy some for the shelf anticipating a delay in production then you can ship direct to the customer with out them having to wait on the manufacture

-=Jason=-

I can't keep them in stock on the floor or for shipping. They can not make enough mills. I was drop shipping them to save the customer money. I can tell now that that is not an option. When we get them back in stock I will have an option to ship them from our store or save money and have them dropshipped.

Sorry if you took it that way. I was not trying to be anything. I was seriously asking what would you do? Barley Crusher doesn't answer our phone calls or emails either.

I hope no one took what I am saying as disrespectful. I am just a straight shooter. I have been contemplating have a rush service on this item. I am sold out and they are shipping what they can so all of the outstanding orders will have priority over my order to stock the floor. I will have to wait as well.

Forrest

I understood what you were trying to say, but I was trying to point out that some folks, like me, could really take it much differently.

I can't keep them in stock on the floor or for shipping. They can not make enough mills. I was drop shipping them to save the customer money. I can tell now that that is not an option. When we get them back in stock I will have an option to ship them from our store or save money and have them dropshipped.

I also ordered a Barley Crusher just before Christmas and I'm stuck in the same boat. I went with AHS BECAUSE they had the lowest price shipped! I have no issues with you because you clearly stated on your website that it ships from the manufacture. I understand that it is not your responsibility that Barley Crusher is a little behind and I appriciate the fact that AHS has answered my e-mails in a timely manner (unlike other companies) if i had to do it over I would still choose the drop ship method, but a choice would be nice

Forrest

From a consumer's perspective, saving $7.99 on $125 item isn't worth the wait. What's worse is it isn't worth the inconvenience of not knowing when my purchase will arrive. I vote for keeping them in stock, but the businessman in me says that's a lot of carrying expense to have a dozen of those on hand at any given time.

If I where you Forrest I'd change "May take up to 15 days" to something like "Usually takes 15 days, but around holidays can take longer...". Either that or just adjust the time when it's a busy time of year. I don't think people mind the weight so much as I ordered it for Christmas etc. and it didn't arrive in time.

I know this doesn't help people still waiting for their already ordered mill,but...
I called around and checked a laundry list of HBS's. The only place that had them actually IN STOCK was northern brewer. Their price was I think $8 more than AHS. To me that $8 was worth it. I got it today, after ordering it Tuesday.

If I hadn't read this thread, I probably would have ordered it from AHS due to them having the best price. Sorry Forrest, I can't tell you if it is worth it to you or not to keep them in stock. However this was a sale that went to another company due to availability issues that not only you, but many places are currently suffering from.

I say leave the price alone... we all need to learn patience! haha and a little patience may come in handy when homebrewing!! :)

(and I'm also waiting on my Barley Crusher)

THIS. Patience is a virtue, in no pastime more so than homebrewing.

What is it, RDWHAHB?

I understood what you were trying to say, but I was trying to point out that some folks, like me, could really take it much differently.

Working in customer service must yield a special insight. I've read Forrest's post four times, and I can't detect a smidge of sarcasm there. He's a retailer trying to deal with a supplier, is all.

I think the cause of the problem is clear, at least IMHO. You've got one of these one-man shows trying to crank out a product, and the very success of the Barley Crusher has caught up with him- to the point where he's trying so hard to get his product out he doesn't even have time to answer the phone. Either way, he's burning it at both ends and needs either to ramp up production (which is perilous) or set a realistic production schedule and establish a system of informing customers when they will receive their orders for sure.

Note: I know that the above may appear that I'm being overly generous toward the manufacturer.....but the Internet seems to excel at breeding suspicion, leading to (again IMHO) unwarranted inferences as to the motives and reasons for the actions of people. I find that in most cases I lack the facts to draw such conclusions, so my solution is generally to give the benefit of the doubt. Others may do as they please, of course.

Wish I would have seen this before ordering on the 18th, I would have gone the Northern Brewer route and thrown a bunch of other stuff in the order since shipping was covered. Ooops looks like NB is out of stock too.

So for Christmas my wife orders me a Barley Crusher Malt Mill from Austin Homebrew Supply, along with a huge sack of two row. Now it clearly says on the website that the mill ships directly from the manufacturer. My wife orders it TWO WEEKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

It doesn't show up in time for Christmas... in fact it's STILL not here. I contact Barley Crusher directly to see when it's set to arrive and they tell me they HAVEN'T EVEN MADE IT YET! Three weeks nearly since ordering and it still hasn't even been made!!! I understand the holiday rush and a lot of orders... but come on... really?

There's really no point to this other than that I'm really agitated and wanted to vent. I ordered a bunch of unmilled specialty malts from AHB and now I have close to 100lbs. of grain that I can't do anything with. ARG!!!

Better freeze it lest the weevils get it.

Back