Where have the old timers gone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been drinking...it's been a long ass week. 3-4 Meetings a day, training, dealing with my own kids stuff, family stuff you name it it's been a hell of a week.

But one question has been on my mind...where are all the old timers at?

When I first joined here back in 2013 the likes of @BierMuncher @Yooper @Revvy @FloppyKnockers and the like we're posting every day.

Now don't get me wrong I love seeing a new group of gurus like @IslandLizard @doug293cz and @bracconiere are roaming around here answering questions but my question still remains...where all the old timers now?

We need a Netflix special or something for this site.

Hahaha...that's why I cruise the Beginners forum...makes me feel young again. I started in here 2016...so not too entirely far behind.

And it was a long ass week here...similar work/kids/home issues probably...haha. I drank every other evening this week. Tonight is an off-night...even though my wife is having one of my homemade margaritas (ie. whatever the hell I can add to tequila that tastes in the ballpark of a true margarita). Tonight was fresh lime juice, a Bubly blackberry soda water addition, triple sec and tequila. Tasted to me like a blackberry margarita.

When I first joined here back in 2013 the likes of @BierMuncher @Yooper @Revvy @FloppyKnockers and the like we're posting every day.

and i see yooper posting all the time, revvy ocassionally, and floppyknockers posts, but he started smoking crack now apparently......

I’ve been here for almost 10 years and most of the frequent posters back then I haven’t seen in a long time.

I guess maybe life has a way of redirecting your time and hobbies get pushed back or your preferences change and places like this get pushed to the back burner.

@unionrdr was another poster not seen in awhile.

10 years? i thought you were new! lol, how the hell did i rack up close to 8k posts in 2? that means i avg 10 posts a day.....DAMN YOU MUSIC MATCH!

In the beginning I didn’t used to post much I felt I didn’t know enough to help other people but now I know enough to maybe help a little 😜

Honestly now I think it’s more about the community, especially now, so I can come here and chat with you guys here and not feel totally isolated. Only down side is I can’t just pour you guys a beer and we can talk about it. I’ve got a few dumpers right now too but that’s a topic for another time.

Edit: and @bracconiere you have 8k posts because your always here!

In the beginning I didn’t used to post much I felt I didn’t know enough to help other people but now I know enough to maybe help a little

hey man, i just come here to goof off with other people that make beer,,,,gotta admit, not really a lot of us out in real world, it's nice to have a place to get together and talk smack about InBev!

not feel totally isolated.

i've always been the opposite, i know most people don't appreciate my 'sense of humor'....but it's kinda a one sided thing.....and normally i'm used to being the one that doesn't like other people.....lol :mug:

Man drinking me should not be allowed on the Internet...however I do think a documentary on the number 1 home brewing website would be something of interest...any thoughts on that @TxBrew or @HBT_Admin ?

Ok, so I've been drinking...it's been a long ass week. 3-4 Meetings a day, training, dealing with my own kids stuff, family stuff you name it it's been a hell of a week.

But one question has been on my mind...where are all the old timers at?
There are also a couple of experienced "new timers" that I follow that haven't posted (or logged in) for a while. At least one of them appears to have gone "all in" on learning about LoOx/LoDo. Subject lines seem to have changed tone recently (e.g. "TIFU: ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation?", " labore et dolore magna - is it ruined?") and that may cause people (and/or bots :eek:) to not participate. Add in a couple of pyrhic discussions that have occurred in a number of home brewing sites this summer and maybe it's "better' read the forums without logging in.

While reading a new thread at the bottom I see similar threads. Most are pretty old, then I click on the users in the thread and see when they were last on. Surprisingly I see a lot of old timers with not that many posts viewing or posting. I guess people like me have retired Or now have more free time without young children

Yooper is on all the time. She's also doing brewersfriend site along with priceless.
Floppy suddenly started posting again recently also
Haven't seen revvy in forever, but I always quote his "21 day, 71 degrees" bottle conditioning
doug239cz and lbussy and daytipper usually cover all the math, plumbing and EE stuff I want to deal with

I've been around almost 10 years now... Does that make me an old-timer?

And obviously I still post... Just not in nearly any brewing-related threads. :D

The only time I use this site for brewing info is if I'm doing a recipe or technique that's new, but 90% of what I brew is tweaks of previous recipes or pretty basic ale/lager styles, so there's very little for me to research for them.

And obviously I still post... Just not in nearly any brewing-related threads. :D

The only time I use this site for brewing info is if I'm doing a recipe or technique that's new, but 90% of what I brew is tweaks of previous recipes or pretty basic ale/lager styles, so there's very little for me to research for them.

Yes sir, you are an old timer!

Yooper is on all the time. She's also doing brewersfriend site along with priceless.
Floppy suddenly started posting again recently also
Haven't seen revvy in forever, but I always quote his "21 day, 71 degrees" bottle conditioning
doug239cz and lbussy and daytipper usually cover all the math, plumbing and EE stuff I want to deal with

Yep, I'm still here all the time.

Like @bwarbiany, I don't really post any brewing questions about my recipes or techniques. But I still try to help out when I can, and I read a ton of posts, while I generally nod my head. If I do post, it's to clarify something (like today, discussing sparge/decoction/tannin extraction) where I may be able to inform and help out someone newer.

I'm still brewing, speaking at HomebrewCon (this year virtually), and, like was mentioned, I'm still helping out at Brewer's Friend. I've been working with some other companies with writing articles, doing some podcasts, etc, so I'm still really into the art and science of brewing.

I think many people do grow and change, and have family responsibilities, and move onto other things.

I still try to keep up with the "Tap Room" folks, and I even keep up with former moderators and other friends (like Revvy). I made some very real friends here and am so happy I did!

I've been around ten years also, though mainly lurking. I think part of the reason you don't see as much activity now is the hobby has many more commercial products available. In the past, we were converting from propane to DIY electric, building stir plates, upgrading corona mills, etc and starting threads on all of those processes. Now, it's comparing a grandfather to an anvil foundry ad nauseam. Not as much original thinking involved.

Im not really an old timer on the forum but am in reality. Sure do appreciate the "wise ones" though. You guys and gals have certainly helped me perfect my craft over the past few years and its greatly appreciated.

When I first joined here back in 2013

Oof. :-D I think I went on hiatus around 2010 or 2011. Brewing has been very on and off for me, I get frustrated easily (and/or life gets squarely in my way) and I wind up off the horse for 18 months at a time.

Around the same time, I got WAY too far into my club's leadership, and burned myself out honestly by spending more time as an officer/organizer than actually brewing and enjoying the hobby.

But I USED to be super active! :p Now I just hang on various brewing Fb groups or Reddit. I should make a point of hanging here more. It's way less toxic than Fb.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends.

Epic.

@Yooper is a treasure, so dedicated and expert. A pillar of homebrewing

It is like, I love James Spencer. Listened for years. I finally listened to all his podcasts, so spread to others. But I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Basic Brewing.

Time passes, but you don’t forget your first.

I read, then don’t look for a month, then read, I have mostly blocked any Facebook groups, it’s just idiotic.

huh, i never signed up for facebook....lol
You my friend, are more wise than you give yourself credit for, if for nothing else, that alone! (seriously!)
I've been a member quite awhile but have little to offer. Compared to most here, I have to sit in the back of the classroom so to speak and seldom raise my hand with an answer. I'm still asking stupid questions. (my latest proved that, LOL)
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

I'm still asking stupid questions. (my latest proved that, LOL)

LOL, i just found out years of worrying about the temp of my sparge water is.....well....it's not important, but only if osmotic pressure, and H+ ions are present! and i just threw the osmotic pressure thing in to sound cool.....lol edit: now i remember autolysing yeast cells, that's where i learned about osmotic pressure for protein purification, that i was to stupid to master, you need a lot of sugar, or osmotic pressure when you break the cells open so they do it slowly....

and unfortanatly, i didn't master ammonium sulfate concentrations right for the right enzymes, and my washing machine's spin cycle wasn't a good enough centrifuge....but hell that's what having fun is about!

and toss a link in for the stupid question, i want to see if i have competition! ;) :mug:

Last edited:
Thanks much. It will be my first at a re-pitch

LOL, people give me crap here for indefinatly repitching my yeast cake!

@bracconiere Look here, Post #8 pretty much proves it. :rolleyes: Have a laugh on me, no problem!
Joel B.

"Dam the torpedo's, full speed ahead".

you my sir, are a destined to be as good, or cheap(like me), homebrewer as you want to be! and i just posted this meme in another intro thread....but it applies here too!

nguns.gif

(i would have to say worrying about losing a half gram of yeast out of a dry yeast packet is funny....not like it's a dope baggie, although they try and charge as much for it! :))

edit: and by god man! if i give you good idea GREAT! but be sure to make sure to research it! like facebook it's the internet....i got the idea to burst carb my keg to perfect carbonation in 30 seconds, because someone had their kegs on a scale to tell when it was almost empty!

Last edited:
@bracconiere Ha, did you miss the part about not having a problem using the 1/2 used pack of Kevik? Yet I freaked the "f" out about seeing a pin hole in the one I was about to use. I was, at the time, like life as I knew it was coming to an end. Ha, what a dufus.
Yeah, It's all good.
Cheers,
Joel B.

@bracconiere Ha, did you miss the part about not having a problem using the 1/2 used pack of Kevik?
Ah, so you over pitched your Kviek.
Occasionally I get flustered about something that when I take a second to think about, makes me wonder why I was ever worried in the first place.

My hat is off to you “Old timers”. I gleem alot of knowledge through older posts. Mainly to remember to use the search function because its probably already been done or asked.

Ah, so you over pitched your Kviek.
No, that wasn't it. I had used 1/2 a pack of Kveik on one batch and sealed it up best I could and stored the remainder in the fridge. Then I used it about two weeks later, no worries Right?
But when I found the new package of yeast for the next batch, it had a pin hole in it. "after" taking it out of two layers of baggies. I freaked out. It was probably sealed up better than the package I had opened and split but I "didn't" worry about using "THAT" yeast one a bit.
Should have been a RDWHAHB moment but no, instead instant panic. While waiting for replies to my plight, a brick fell from above and knocked some sense into my thick skull. Funny now, then, not so much.
Now you know "The rest of the story"
As far as using the search, yeah, I agree but sometimes it can take a long time to weed out what your really after.
Joel B.

I’ve been here for almost 10 years and most of the frequent posters back then I haven’t seen in a long time.

I guess maybe life has a way of redirecting your time and hobbies get pushed back or your preferences change and places like this get pushed to the back burner.

@unionrdr was another poster not seen in awhile.

@uniondr is back, saw his post int he introduction thread.

I was very active back a few years ago, but dropped off due to life circumstances, which have recently changed and now back in the saddle again.

@uniondr is back, saw his post int he introduction thread.

I was very active back a few years ago, but dropped off due to life circumstances, which have recently changed and now back in the saddle again.

Well looky there, I could still get into my old account........

Back