Where do I place Temp Probe on automated system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digitizer101

Reaction score
I have been trying to find the best place to add the temp probe for the STC-1000 to monitor temperature of HLT and Mash Tun. And to control the burner solenoids. I was thinking of locations and all have +'s and -'s just not sure which is best.

Probe1.jpg

Probe2.jpg

Probe3.jpg

I would get better temp readings up closer to keg but I wouldn't have to remove and reinsert every time when down by the pump.

All options require me to run a continuous re-circulation to get a reading and that is the down side to adding the probe in line.

The middle option leave a rather long pipe on the side of the keg.

Any other ideas welcome

Thanks

Your pictures aren't loading in my computer. I have two RTD's on my MT, one from a thermowell and the other on the outlet. They rarely read the same, an issue likely due to channeling. I look to my outlet temp more than anything though as that is the average temp of the wort coming through the false bottom, which means to me that it is telling me the most about what is going on in my mash. When the thermowell is too far off the outlet temp it tells me I had better stir up the mash because I have significant channeling going on which obviously impacts the conversion.

If you want to put heat into the mash you will want to circulate the mash in some way, whether it is with a spoon or through recirculation, it will need to happen to evenly distribute the heat. I'm not a fan of stirring for a number of reasons. So, if distribute the heat via pump, taking the temp from the exit is your best bet. If you are going to insulate the MT and let it sit stagnate you want a thermowell as sticking about a quarter of the way into the MT to best get the average temp from center to tun wall.

Thanks Binsiff, think I am leaning towards the probe being connected to the pumps(less hassle with wires and connecting and disconnecting ). I may as well add a thermowell to the side of the keg to watch mash temps in the center of the mash.

Appreciate your advise.

You're welcome.

Now I can see the pic and see what you mean better. Having the probe at the pump will have the issue of the wort cooling in the line. You would want to insulate the line at the very least.

I'm not understanding what you mean about not having to remove and reinsert when down by the pump. Could you clarify?

You're welcome.

I'm not understanding what you mean about not having to remove and reinsert when down by the pump. Could you clarify?

I was planning on placing the temperature probe in a T as shown in the pictures. The wires for the probe run into the back of the T and would be sealed in place with a compression fitting and an O ring. If I place this setup on the keg I would have to either add a quick connect or unscrew it each time the keg is moved. If I place it on the hose it would also have this same issue each time the hose is moved. The only place I can see that it would not have to be removed is on the pump.

How do most people handle the temperature probes and the wires maybe I am missing something.

Thanks

Ok, I see what you are saying...I use Auber instruments. They seem to have really embraced us homebrewers and make some nice things for us. So, something like this:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=249

would work perfectly for you. You always leave the probe part inserted and then you can disconnect the wire. One thought though, with all those screw on connections, if you don't already have the hardware, you might consider using all TC fittings as cleanup is much easier. Even if you don't want to have your kettles welded with a TC ferrule you can get a threaded adapter fitting for your ball locks that would allow everything past that to be TC...anyway, just a though.

Back