Where do i find priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking about dosing the bottles individually? You would have to get Cooper's drops at your LHBS, or order online.

Otherwise, you can bulk prime with table sugar.

I calculate the amount of sugar required for the entire batch and mix it into 2 cups of cool water. I pour the mix into my bottling bucket and rack the beer onto it. I am very carefull to try not to disturb the trub on the bottom of the fermentor and not splash the beer and cause it to become airated. So far I have had uniform results using just plain old table sugar. Every bottle seemed to be equally carbonated, but not too much and the head was equally good and uniform across the whole batch. Unfortunately I didn't save any for an ageing test but I have time ad it was only a 2,5 gallon Mr Beer to begin with. I have since moved to a 6.5 gallon fermenter and a 5 gallon bottling bucket. I am working toward an all grain soon. Bought a turkey fryer last week on sale at Wally World and got a 30 qt pot to go with it for less than 40 bucks with a decent thermometer too. Been shopping for a stainless Boil Kettle but the current prices are really hurting my feelings and my budget. I just can't see 150-200 for a stainless pot, even if it does have holes for a temp probe and sight glass and a drain on the bottom. I have a mill and drill press so making my own holes is a non issue. Just gotta find a pot that is reasonablely priced to proceed. Hope this helps you decide what to do.
Bob

I calculate the amount of sugar required for the entire batch and mix it into 2 cups of cool water.

Dissolve the sugar in BOILING water, cool to pitching temperatures, THEN add to the bottling bucket and rack onto it. The chances of getting an infection from your table sugar is probably pretty low, but taking a little extra time to boil it and cool it makes the chances pretty close to 0%, so it's worth the extra effort!!

This link has a calculator that will tell you how much table sugar or priming sugar to use. Priming sugar is just corn sugar (refined dextrose), which you can also get at a grocery store if you don't have a homebrew shop nearby.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

You can buy dextrose at a health food store like gnc. Or use table sugar. I don't know if sugar cubes fit in a bottle. I believe they are 1 tsp of sugar each

Or if you are really lazy and don't care about pink beer, then try some smarties.:D Same ingredient as dextrose.

Back