Where can I buy LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyMcOwnsYou

Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing LME but I can't seem to find any sites that sell it, with the main concern being to ship to Canada. Anyone know where I can buy it and maybe even some specialty grains? I know www.midwestsupplies.com sells LME kits but I'm leaving them as a last resort type of thing since they killed me on shipping last time.

Brewsmith said:
Wht not DME? It weighs less and takes up less space. Shipping would be less. There's lots of online stores. Have you looked at www.northernbrewer.com

hmm, that site definatley sells LME lol. I'll look into both I guess and compare. I've just always used LME and a bit reluctant to use DME.

I used LME for a while, but when I started using DME, I liked it better. It's easier to handle and measure out and you don't have to worry about an opened can or bag if you don't use it all. With the DME I just squeeze out all the air and roll up the excess bag and tape it shut. I noticed some flavor differences between the two types, and although it's been debated to death around here, I personally would only use DME. Just make sure that if you do use it, turn off the burner on the pot before adding it so you don't get a crazy boilover.

I'm in the minority of people who prefer LME, but that's mostly because it's significantly cheaper :) I just buy enough in bulk to make 2-3 batches at a time and it works out fine. DME has the advantage of a longer shelf life, but costs a fair bit more. I haven't found either significantly easier to work with, both are sticky :)

at my LHBS:

LME $1.70/lb using refill bucket
DME $3.69/lb

Guess which one I buy exclusively? I would buy DME if I could find it much, much cheaper than $3.69/lb including shipping.

TimmyMcOwnsYou said:
hmm, that site definatley sells LME lol. I'll look into both I guess and compare. I've just always used LME and a bit reluctant to use DME.

Why reluctant to use DME?

eviltwinofjoni said:
at my LHBS:

LME $1.70/lb using refill bucket
DME $3.69/lb

Guess which one I buy exclusively? I would buy DME if I could find it much, much cheaper than $3.69/lb including shipping.

That's a big difference. I would expect DME to run about a third more than LME. Look for someone like MoreBeer that has free shipping. I'm sure you can get the DME cheaper.

TimmyMcOwnsYou said:
I was thinking of purchasing LME but I can't seem to find any sites that sell it, with the main concern being to ship to Canada. Anyone know where I can buy it and maybe even some specialty grains? I know www.midwestsupplies.com sells LME kits but I'm leaving them as a last resort type of thing since they killed me on shipping last time.

I've got no idea where you're located, but if you're east of the Mississip, I'd suggest getting LME from Listermann's. They sell it in bulk, call it "canadian", for some reason. Cheapest I've ever seen. And if you're east of the Mississip, then you get free shipping on orders over $35.

The Home Brewery in Ozark MO has LME, as well as William's Brewing in CA. I agree with the others, DME is much better for me, but if you are happy with the syrup, use it

Back