where are you preordering your rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
Im just about to pull the trigger on this years rhizomes and Im wondering where I can find some fuggles. I havent seen any available any where any ideas?

FYI
My LHBS put this notice in this month's newsletter;

Growing Hops.
If you are considering growing
hops you should place your
order as soon as possible as there
will probably be pressure on the
rhizome supply. Northern Brewer
is taking pre-orders right now for
delivery in April. Most of the large
mail order homebrew supply
sights sell hop rhizomes.

Dave at freshops doesn't take pre-orders, but he almost always has Fuggle and the list should be up in a couple weeks.

I bought last years from my LHBS and Northernbrewer and Freshops, Freshops took along time to get to me in Michigan and it never did grew. This year I bought 4 from Midwest as they had all the varieties I wanted.

david_42 said:
Dave at freshops doesn't take pre-orders, but he almost always has Fuggle and the list should be up in a couple weeks.

This guy lives about 20 minutes from my house...I called him and I think he is going to hook me up when its time....

Im thinking about checking with my local hop farmer. the last time I talked to him about a couple pounds of hops he made it seem that he was going way out of his way to sell them to me.

I order/preordered from thymegarden.com as well.

From a followup e-mail to my order:
Hops and bareroot perennials will be shipped in early to mid-March. We are digging them now so keep your fingers crossed the weather holds.

Mustangj said:

Mustang- Great plug- I just checked them out and I like the company- plus-
They have Fuggle! I've not seen it yet this year- not that I went crazy looking around.
I have now used them (thymegarden) and I used Midwest too.
I hope the neighbors don't get dogs' cause I'm going nuts this spring.

My LHBS just announced yesterday that they will have them as well and for a decent price, so I'm going to order through them instead.

Midwest Supplies here... 2 Wilamette, 2 Cascade, 2 Mt Hood... I will have hops before I have grass.

The Pol said:
Midwest Supplies here... 2 Wilamette, 2 Cascade, 2 Mt Hood... I will have hops before I have grass.

When you say that- I assume that your order has come in? Oooh- watching the mail now. I ordered some from them.
Remember waiting for christmass when you were 9? Right now I do.

McKBrew said:
I'm getting mine from Hops Direct because they are close and due to WA being a hop production state, I can't order Rhizomes from out of state (even oregon).
www.hopsdirect.com

McKBrew... You should do yourself a favor and take a drive across the pond to Kent and order your rhizomes from Larry's Brew Supply.... $3.25 a root as where Hops Direct is charging $8 per +Shipping!!!

I'm putting in my order Thurs.

EDIT... I see you already have another source... Nevermind.

This may sound pretty weak, but I ordered a single rhizome from Hops Direct. I don't even know if hops will grow in my soil, so I didn't think it'd be wise to buy any more. I pre-ordered a Nugget rhizome. It's supposed to do well in hot climates. I hope it does ok in sandy soil as well.

I was in my LHBS today and they said they're getting them in at the end of the month from Hop Union. The guy at the shop said they will be about $5 a piece, so it looks like I'm going to get 2 Cascade and 2 Willamette. :rockin:

I dont have mine yet... but I also have non grass, no sod, nothing... our house was completed in Dec... so I WILL have hops growing before I have grass.

The Pol said:
I dont have mine yet... but I also have non grass, no sod, nothing... our house was completed in Dec... so I WILL have hops growing before I have grass.
Yeah, thinking about it- its too early, huh. I misinterpreted your "Midwest here" to mean that they had arrived.
guess we still have time to wait.
Sigh...............

I got a shipping date from UPS Quantum View this afternoon. Looks like I should be getting mine on the 14th from Hops Direct.

killian said:
Im just about to pull the trigger on this years rhizomes and Im wondering where I can find some fuggles. I havent seen any available any where any ideas?

yeah, done did it, pulled the trigger. happy I did it, hoo rah. >>>>What are you going to shoot your hops? funny that.

I ordered some rhizomes from americanbrewmasters.com. haven't got them yet, but I do not intend to shoot them.:confused:

I just ordered 2 Willmette, 2 Cascade and a Mt. Hood from Midwest Brewing Supplies. They were cool enough to send me a free catalog, so I figured I should send some business their way.

Just ordered from Midwest Brewing Supplies. I like to spread the money around -- my first order with them.

Trent

I don't think US hop suppliers are allowed to send rhizomes abroad. So for non-North American gardeners such as myself, it's worth checking out www.aplus-hops.co.uk . I got a Target and a Challenger rhizome from them, and they were both huge - they're in the ground and are taking off already.

The Pol said:

There you go, it's all about priorities! :mug:

my rhizomes arrived Friday Mar 28 by USPS. And the return address on the package?

Freshops
36180 Kings Valley Hwy
Philomath OR 97370

So I could have got the same rhizomes, from the same place, on the same delivery date -- for 25% less (NB charges $5.99, Freshops $4.50 ea)

Looks like all NB does is tack on $1.50 per rhizome, pass the order to freshops, and count their $$

:mad:

Back