When you force card are you drinking green beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green beer isn't defined by carb methods. It's defined by "how the beer tastes". If the beer is green it will have off flavors that the yeast hasn't had time to clean up. The only way to fix green beer is to let it age a bit longer, letting the yeast finish it's clean up.

Edit: oh and I force carb all the time but never to green beer. I wait for it to be ready before I carb it. If I have to let it sit another week or two, I will before kegging/carbing. The carbing process is just to add bubbles. The beer should be ready to drink before you carb it.

It depends on the beer. Some beers are good young, some aren't. If the beer is good without any aging, it goes right into the kegerator and we start drinking it as soon as it's carbed up. If the beer needs some time, it gets time (at room temperature) before it's in the kegerator.

Green beer is green beer, whether carbonated or not. Faster carbonation doesn't make a beer ready to drink. It's ready when it's ready.

If the beer needs some time, it gets time (at room temperature) before it's in the kegerator.

I've been thinking about getting a pipeline going (and this would require leaving a keg or two of beer at room temp. When you do this do you seal the gaskets and then just let it sit or do you leave it on the gas? Also, does prolonged time at say 78* (what I cool the house to during the summer months) mess with finished beer in any way?

I just seem to hear a lot of stories of people racking off the carboy after they hit FG and force carbing right away. All my beers, granted being flat... don't taste how they should for at least 3 weeks after I empty the carboy.

That said, do most people... as asked by IffyG.... condition in a room temp keg for a couple weeks? And what happens if you carb up and the beer doesn't taste as it should? Are you stuck with 5 gallons of premature beer?

And what happens if you carb up and the beer doesn't taste as it should? Are you stuck with 5 gallons of premature beer?

Even after carbing it will condition with time and taste will improve if no infection is at fault.

Remember too that the term "force carb" just means "using pure CO2". Many of us force carb at serving pressure which can take up to 2 weeks to properly carb the keg.

I do it this way specifically so my keg brew has time to mellow out, and the yeast that's left over can fall out and get pushed out in the first pint.

All my beers sit in primary for a month. I still taste a difference in beer thats been in the kegerator a couple weeks and after its been in there a month or more.

I just seem to hear a lot of stories of people racking off the carboy after they hit FG and force carbing right away. All my beers, granted being flat... don't taste how they should for at least 3 weeks after I empty the carboy.

That said, do most people... as asked by IffyG.... condition in a room temp keg for a couple weeks? And what happens if you carb up and the beer doesn't taste as it should? Are you stuck with 5 gallons of premature beer?

Latest posts

Back