When will wild yeast be too much to stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GallonNoob

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I would like som thoughts on this:

Not being fond of adding sulphur to my beverage, I have heat treated the 1 gallon cider batches I have made this far. Heated to 80 degree centigrade for 10 minutes.
This year I am doing a 2 gallon batch, and I don't have vessel big enough to heat it in. My soup pot is only 1,4 gallon.
I was planning on just depending on the yeast I add to be more powerful than the natural yeasts that may be there.

Now my Lalvin 71B is stuck in the mail, probably not showing up untill tomorrow. Will 24-36 hours of leaving the juice in the primary fermenter at room temperature cause the natural yeasts to go crazy and get a big head start before the right yeast is added?

I was hoping to use my sunday for juicing, since it might take a bit long for a week night.
But if I have to I might do it monday anyway, or heat treat divided on multiple pots.

Thanks in advance.

Some commercial cidermakers will let the natural yeast kick off before adding a commercial yeast, saying it adds complexity. I've done it before and the cider came out good, but its always a gamble.
I wouldn't worry about it at all if its only 24-36 hours.

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up heat treating it anyway, divided into a variety of pots. Just to be safe.
It sat 48 hours on the kitchen top, untill the yeast finally arrived yesterday.
Pitched and added the yeast last night, and now it is bubling like it is supposed to. And most important, it didnt bubble before I added the yeast :-D

Back