When will my apfelwein clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
It's been fermenting for 3 weeks, and while I know it needs to ferment at least 4 weeks, I'm just curious when it will begin to clear. It's not super cloudy or anything, it's just that I can't yet "read a newspaper through it." Any ideas on this? Thanks.

Mine took about three months till you could read a paper through it, and it really wasn't drinkable for about 6 or more....I just gave some year old away at Christmas and people loved it.

4 weeks is typically clears up. For me, it's usually between 25-28 days so just before 4 weeks. I recommend leaving it in there until you can read a newspaper through the carboy (not joking). That took about 6 weeks for it to become crystal clear.

I am with Revvy. It all depends on you though. For some people AW is ready after 6 weeks... I don't touch it before 7 months. Usually about 8 weeks in the primary, then to a keg (or bottles) for aging.

same here...mine was absolutely finished and clear around the 6 week mark. Nice golden color.

Mine is about a month old and its beginning to clear. But I dont want to wait 6 months to drink it. I dont have enough storage.

I want to wait and have the storage...but I can't wait.

mine usually clears in ~6 weeks too

I want to wait and have the storage...but I can't wait.

mine usually clears in ~6 weeks too

dont have the storage or the space? start hitting up your friends for bottles. hey a bench capper and your good to go.

My first batch never really cleared but tasted great. My second batch cleared in about 5 weeks (I did add yeast nutrient...not sure if this helped). I bottled the second batch in 6 weeks and it tasted great.

I am with Revvy. It all depends on you though. For some people AW is ready after 6 weeks... I don't touch it before 7 months. Usually about 8 weeks in the primary, then to a keg (or bottles) for aging.

Does the aging in the bottle make it taste that much better? Just curious b/c mine tasted pretty good after 6 weeks or so..........Right now the supply is not keeping up with demand so it is hard to keep it around for long.

My house doesn't get past 65 this time of year. I put the carboy up against the base board heat to ferment faster. I guess it supposed to ferment at over 70 or 80 degrees. It takes for ever at the lower temps it seems.

Three weeks for mine, but I used yeast nutrient and energizer, and the carboy stayed in the mid to high 60s for the whole time. I also used EC-1118 instead of Montrachet - not sure if that would have an effect as well.

3272891445_83becc6349.jpg

Three weeks for mine, but I used yeast nutrient and energizer, and the carboy stayed in the mid to high 60s for the whole time. I also used EC-1118 instead of Montrachet - not sure if that would have an effect as well.

3272891445_83becc6349.jpg

EC-1118 is significantly faster than any yeast I've tried, included Montrachet.

Your apfelwine will clear about 1 month before it is ready to drink. On the day it clears, get out your calendar and mark that down, wait one month and it will be finished fermenting. If you like it to taste good, you should wait another 3 months for it to be finished.

Your apfelwine will clear about 1 month before it is ready to drink. On the day it clears, get out your calendar and mark that down, wait one month and it will be finished fermenting. If you like it to taste good, you should wait another 3 months for it to be finished.

+1 to this. I kegged my last batch at 6 weeks, and it was good...but a little too much on the wine yeast flavor. I killed the keg in about a month, but bottled off several 22 ozers. After 2 months, they were FANTASTIC! The apple taste came back, the yeast flavor faded, and it was altogether a more mellow, less boozey beverage.

I drank my first batch at about 4 weeks. It tasted fine, but it was not super clear. I know i have seen pics of apfelwein that are amazingly clear.

I say 4-6 is drinkable, but if clear is what you want listen to revvy.

Back