When to take OG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most accurate way to do it is after the boil unless you can accurately measure your pre and post-boil volumes (very accurately). I usually take two readings...one after I lauter into the kettle to get my lautering efficiency (I don't get a super accurate volume reading, but good enough). The next reading I take is in my fermentor before aeration and pitching. For this reading you don't need a volume reading...you just want to know the OG of your wort.

My question is, do you guys have your temperature correction all figured out so that you can measure gravity at post-sparge temps or do you cool your sample first? I suppose the best way to get the correction is to heat water to 160 and test the gravity?

Bobby_M said:
My question is, do you guys have your temperature correction all figured out so that you can measure gravity at post-sparge temps or do you cool your sample first? I suppose the best way to get the correction is to heat water to 160 and test the gravity?

:D

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/brew/widgets/hc0.html

It seems fairly accurate, although I wonder at higher temperatures how close it actually is. Most Hydrometers are calibrated at 68 F, but check yours to be certain if you use this widget.

Bobby_M said:
Cool the sample. Takes about 3-4 minutes with a sample jar stuck in a tumbler of ice water.

Back