When to move from primary to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratoblastor

Reaction score
Ok, another noobie question. I am making a Belgian Tripel. My brew day was exactly one week ago. I used 4.5 gallons of bottled water instead of the recipes 5 gallons to maintain a gravity of 1.085. My objective is to keep the ABV between 8.5-9.0% so one might consider this a big beer.

It is still sitting in the plastic primary fermenter. I'm still noticing bubbling in the airlock approx 10 seconds apart. I would like to move it to a 5 gallon glass carboy but want to keep opening the primary lid to a minimum. When is the best time to transfer?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you want to use a secondary I'd wait till you have almost reached terminal gravity. Since this is your first time brewing this beer that might be hard to know. But, I bet you'll be safe if you wait for the kraussen to fall back in and the bubbling in the air lock to slow considerably.

Remember that with a big beer like a tripel that patience is key. It will likely need 3-4 weeks in the primary and probably another month or 2 of aging in a secondary or keg would really improve the beer.

What yeast did you use? Did you aerate well? I did a strong Belgian last year with 3787 and racked too early (after 1 week). it kind of stopped at around 1030, although there were probably other contributing factors (temp., use of extract)

You'll need to wait if you are still seeing airlock activity, let it sit in the primary for a few more days then give the hydrometer a spin and check the FG.

Bubbles in the airlock can be lots of things, it's not necessarily still fermenting. Take gravity readings to be certain. You'll be fine if you just leave it in primary until you're ready to bottle or keg though. You can let it age further after packaging. Although it doesn't hurt anything to leave the beer sitting in bulk, it also doesn't hurt to go ahead and package it once you're certain the yeast have gotten you down to a stable gravity.

Based on my experience with that yeast, I would wait at least another week. Then maybe test the gravity first to see if you are within 5-10 pts of where you want to finish. Also,I would keep it on the warm side until then. (70 or higher)

Just opened the lid. The krausen has dropped. Will take a gravity reading tomorrow morning and a second within three days. If I'm at FG with no change, I will rack to secondary.

Doesn't the secondary assist in the clarification? Plus, since I have about 4.5 gallons in a 6.5 primary pail, moving it to a 5 gallon Carboy removes the head space. Then I can reuse the primary for the next batch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

Doesn't the secondary assist in the clarification?

No, that's an outdated myth that only persists today because of a single, ambiguous and anecdotal episode of a recent brewing podcast.

Plus, since I have about 4.5 gallons in a 6.5 primary pail, moving it to a 5 gallon Carboy removes the head space.

If the fermenter is well-sealed, the headspace is not an issue in the short-to-medium term, because it's full of CO2. However, if you were planning on leaving it for more than 3-4 weeks, I would transfer it to a vessel that is less oxygen-permeable than a plastic pail.

Then I can reuse the primary for the next batch.

If you only have the one primary fermenter, then yes, that's a good reason to rack it to another carboy. However, buckets are pretty cheap, and you can find used glass carboys on Craigslist/Kijiji relatively affordably (I frequently see them listed for $20 in my area).

I always secondary for about a month, then send to keg.

When I don't secondary, I find a particularly yeasty taste. I can taste it, and even if my buddies can't i can.

Why not secondary? Oxidation, like infection, only happens if you are wreckless.

Since your a self proclaimed noobie and this is a big beer, I think that bulk aging for a month in a secondary is a good idea. If your fermentation was less than perfect, it will only improve the beer over that time. Take extra care to not splash during transfer. Good luck!

Since your a self proclaimed noobie and this is a big beer, I think that bulk aging for a month in a secondary is a good idea. If your fermentation was less than perfect, it will only improve the beer over that time. Take extra care to not splash during transfer. Good luck!

Fermentation went fine. 1.085 down to 1.020. (Recipe stated OG 1.082-1.086. FG 1.017-1.020) Siphoned from primary to secondary so splashing was kept to a minimum.

Not doing harm, but yeah he could let it age in the bottle while he drinks one now and then until they taste to his liking.

What if I cut the secondary time down from one month to something shorter, 2 weeks maybe?

Latest posts

Back