When to freeze hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhindian

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm brewing an IPA today and had a good deal on a lb of Mosaic hops. If I put some in the boil today, is it worth freezing them if I plan on dry hopping with them as well? Or will they be fine in the fridge for ~2-3 weeks after opening?

well... you should freeze them as quick as possible after they have been opened from a vacuum sealed package. you could weight up how much you are going to dryhop with and freeze them separately, then take them out one day advance of dryhop schedule. if you freeze hops. guessing thees are pellets, they are good for one year if frozen

Great, thanks! So to prep them after being frozen, just let them thaw for about a day before using?

Great, thanks! So to prep them after being frozen, just let them thaw for about a day before using?

no need to thaw hops. Hops are very low moisture content, colder temps just keep them fresher, longer. They don't really "freeze."

Back